Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Movement Update...

Pulled cams today in Hardin Co. Drove past every public area between IF and Steamboat and saw 6 pairs and one individual deer in the fields adjacent to big timbers. All 6 pairs were a doe and a buck.

well...so i sat all day today, and very little movement. I snuck into a different stand during mid-day to sit for a few hours before i move to my honey hole for the evening. While packing up my pack and getting ready to put my bow on the string i noticed something shining about 40 yds away. Sure as heck it was a rack, and one of my big boys to boot! He was just laying there, couldnt figure out if he snuck in on me or i snuck in on him, regardless i now was not moving to my other set. He laid there till 3:30, i figured he had a doe with him, but when he stood up he was all by himself! He was bedded 40 yds away in some multiflower rose, thick, and of course he walked the other way! First encounter with a mature buck this year, hopefully not the last, but the way this weird rut is going i wouldnt doubt it!

I hunt east of iowa falls. Saw 8 does tonight. 6 in a group and two singles. 3 bucks cruising 1 of which is a little 8 that's been chasing any doe walking through the timber for the last week. I couldn't get the other two inside of sixty yards. Both turned and came from 100 yards whit some grunts and rattling. Have some pictures of some nice ones but not durring the day yet.

I can't complain a whole lot. Although I haven't been seeing a ton of movement, I did see two shooters today.

Saw a shooter twice on Sunday. Also saw one on Saturday.

All in all, I'd say it's a good hunt if I see a shooter... No matter how far away he may be.

Same bucks again Drew? Maybe they'll stick around and get big in a couple years! lol...
Saw a four pointer chasing a doe and fawn all around the woods tonight then roughly 7-8 fawns looking like a bunch of lost puppies. Big boys not showing their faces for a few days. Maybe tomorrow........:(

Today I had one of the most fun hunts I have ever had, without killing anything. I have tried rattling for several years and have never once had anything come in. I moved a stand to a part of the property I hunt that I had never been to before. Put the stand up and sat down at about 11:30. At 10 til Noon I decided I would try and rattle. I rattled for about 15 seconds or so, put them down, and within 30 seconds there was movement in the brush. It was a nice 10 pointer! He came in to 15 yards broadside just as planned, but wasn't quite big enough. He was missing his G2 on the right side or I may have let him have it.

He wandered off, and about an hour later I rattled again. Sure enough, within 2-3 minutes, a 100" 8 pointer shows up out of no where! Stops perfectly in my shooting lane, but again, I let him walk. Anyways, I rattle 6 times today, and had 4 different bucks come in! The last one was a fork horn that actually caught me red handed with the horns still in my hands!

Anyway, saw a total of 6 bucks and only 1 doe. Sat from 11:30 til dark in Winneshiek county. Saw most of the deer midday, and no action at dusk.

Been hunting hard, and not seeing any shooter bucks yet!! Sat one of my Jackson co stands tonite, despite the wind I saw good movement about 430-dark, saw about 10 does move through n feed in the field, small 8pt checking does but not pressuringem at all, n a 6pt cruising.. seems like the does are still need a couple days..

Fun hunt today... sat from dark to 3pm. 5 shooters 20+ bucks and 7 does all does were followed by bucks.. rattled in several lonely bucks from 11am to 3pm... No shot opportunities on the shooters.

I saw a 165 inch ten pushing does & two other bucks around 140 at 3:30 this afternoon.the big ten came by at 70 yards

Levi the other two looked to be decent bucks. Big bodies but couldn't make out the racks in the field through the trees and low light. Def not the little fork that's been chasing every doe off with the little 8.

Good to hear. My spots are quieting down a bit. Gonna go ninja tomorrow with my Gorilla and Muddy sticks. Got an idea where some big boys might be hanging out. Gotta go where the Va-j-j is this time of year. Wasn't sure if you'd figure out who i was til i remembered my equipment list below my post! Good luck, you've got a hella good spot there judging by the rub lines by the river. I'm giving up on Anders for a bit, seems the does moved out last couple times Ive been out. Lot more in there last year and year before.

Hunted all day today, North Clinton Co. Saw 5 does all with fans. 2 small bucks patroling scrape lines. Saw most deer in am during short time when rain let up right before everything went white. Have not laid eyes on a shooter yet.

Once the rain let up around noon in SE Iowa the deer were everywhere on their feet. So I thought I would have a rocking evening sit...but not so much. A doe, 2 fawns, that I passed, and a 2-1/2 buck dogging the mama doe, but they didn't come out until about sunset. The buck was definitely chasing, but that was all I saw.

Been hunting hard, and not seeing any shooter bucks yet!! Sat one of my Jackson co stands tonite, despite the wind I saw good movement about 430-dark, saw about 10 does move through n feed in the field, small 8pt checking does but not pressuringem at all, n a 6pt cruising.. seems like the does are still need a couple days..

Interesting your hunts literally sound like mine to a T. I also hunt wapsi bottom and hunted jackson county tonight and seen almost the exact amount of deer you did. hmmm:confused:

Sat this afternoon for 3.5 hrs. Last hr I had a button buck, a doe n two fawns with a 120ish ten pt. Then I had a stud ten pt that woulda easily gone in the 170 range. Too far to shoot and didnt give two shits about my calling. My nephew, the lucky one, had a 14 pt 180ish hog come in at 8 yds! Damn lefty couldnt shoot to his left and the big guy walked outta sight.

risto2351 said:
I can almost bet you that those does have already been bred.

Have been seeing a lot of fawns and bucks locked down with does.

Seen my second deer being bred on Monday in an open field.
I haven't seen any breeding yet in day time, not to say they aren't yet.. over the weekend we hunted our van buren co farm, tons if deer there, can usually watch bucks cruising for does all day.. all we saw was some does n a couple small scrub bucks, that's it!!! I'm yet to see a shooter in daylight.. gonna happen soon tho I can feel it!!! Gonna slip into one of my maysville stands on a field edge where the does have been feeding all the time, about 1 pm today.. big ones gotta move sometime soon!!!
Good luck guys!!

Top Bottom