Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

My 2 year switchgrass

HWC

Well it looks like I actually have some SG over my 3 acre field. What maintenance would be suggested next year? It looks like about 50% of the field took. I didn't do any spraying or mowing this year. Just let it run it's course and see what happened. It
20211103_164145.jpg
20211103_164155.jpg
20211103_164135.jpg

It's 4 feet tall. Seems really thick where it took. First year I didn't mow at all either. I sprayed for weeds in fall. It used to be a hay field. I seeded it into a late March or april snow in Iowa. The first year was almost all fox tail.
I wasn't sure if I should mow the poor areas next spring to see if switch will come up or if I should replant the poor areas. It is Cave in Rock SG

A quick one...I see a little thistle in your stand...as such, my advice is to get after that and not let it get going on you. I have spot mowed it AND also spot sprayed it to get "little spots" under control. A couple of years ago though I had enough that I had a big sprayer come in and hit it and it really knocked it back. So depending on how much you have, you can choose your level of attack...but don't let it be IMO.

Otherwise, it looks like a pretty good stand to me.

Reactions: HWC
Daver, what did you have the big sprayer spray and what month was it? I need to address some thistle in my switch also.

A quick one...I see a little thistle in your stand...as such, my advice is to get after that and not let it get going on you. I have spot mowed it AND also spot sprayed it to get "little spots" under control. A couple of years ago though I had enough that I had a big sprayer come in and hit it and it really knocked it back. So depending on how much you have, you can choose your level of attack...but don't let it be IMO.

Otherwise, it looks like a pretty good stand to me.
I have a major thistle problem across the ditch about 30 yards by 30 yards or so. It was just unmowed grass but thistle took over whole patch. I will look out for that thank you

I've used Grazon P+D, is a broadleaf killer. If you look at label I believe it is 3 or 4 pints per acre and I think there is an optimum time to kill them, it's on the label though.

Nice. Yeah I've used crossbow to control Canadas in road ditches before and it did work well. Just don't want to screw up with my switch and accidentally kill it off by hitting it too hard with anything.

Top Bottom