Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

My $70 3D Leafy Heater Body Suit

Hardcorehunter

UL Shelter/Stove Geek
With the cold weather, I thought I would share. $70 is what it would have cost, had I not already had all of this in my possession. A buddy gave me the Military sleeping bag for free, and I already had some of the HS Real Tree leafy camo and camo suspenders in my bow shop. I sewed 2 inside buttons and cords so that I could quietly and quickly get ready to shoot. It is WARM(rated for extreme cold) . The bag is windproof and water repellent and made out of down/poly filling. I take my boots off once in the stand, place my sock feet(size 13) and it isn't a big deal to stand and turn on a Lone Wolf Alpha platform to get a shot off, even though there are no legs sewn in it. These bags are available at many military surplus stores, and the material is quiet, which is a must for a bow hunter.

I like the fact that I look more like a huge squirrel nest then what a standard HB suit offers. Whatever floats your boat. The price is right:wink: For reference; I am 6'3" and 200 lbs.

hb3.jpg

hb4-1.jpg

hb2.jpg

hb1-1.jpg

Nice work Don. What do you plan to do with your boots?
Thanks guys. I tie the laces together and attach to my pack. I have been using a Predator camo pack this year by Horn Hunter and it has many quick connect fasteners for holding bows, gear, etc. It really shines for carrying a LW stand. The padded gear holder clips on the Horn Hunter would make you swear that they got together with Lone Wolf and decided to place them on the pack this way. Their packs are TOUGH. I use a Lone Wolf strap with a Carabiner and attach the pack to the tree with this. I use the pack fasteners also for holding my Cat Quiver I.

My biggest fear about those setups would be freezing to death before the shot since you don't wear much underneath them. I would think you would want to unbundle well before the deer get in range. Nice set up though:)

I would cut holes in the bottom and leave your boots on.. Did you consider making it into two legs as well by some strong stitching job??

The climb down will definitely be hilarious in that thing too!

LOOKS nice, but seems dangerous to me! I would never be up in a tree stand with my feet tied together- which is essentially what you will be doing in that bag. No way to maintain your balance should you loose it, and I'd hate to have try to ditch the bag while hanging from my harness, and THEN have to get back up onto my platform somehow in my STOCKING FEET!!

Thanks, but I don't cut corners where my life might be at risk....the Heater Body Suit's worth every penny to me!! -IM

I would cut holes in the bottom and leave your boots on.. Did you consider making it into two legs as well by some strong stitching job??

The climb down will definitely be hilarious in that thing too!
No, I want the warmth of both legs together.

Don,
What do you plan to do to keep your feet warm. The #1 thing that I can feel when in a metal stand is the cold coming up from the platform into the bottom of my feet. Usually right through my 1600gram boots, with wool and cottom socks. I would think the cold would get to your feet in a hurry with nothing more than socks and the bag on the bare metal. 2nd question? How do you carry it? Rolled up and in your pack?

Thanks, but I don't cut corners where my life might be at risk....the Heater Body Suit's worth every penny to me!! -IM

I cant see how there is much difference between the two. I havent been inside of either one so take this for what its worth, but I think if I lose my balance in the HBS your only going to be limited to the size your platform before you drop a foot off the edge. Most sleepingbags are going to have enough room for you to move your feet around to catch yourself, the down fall is still going to be the small platform. I dont know what there is exactly in the bottom of sleeping bag, but I would assume you could get 18x18in out one. IMO your not "tieing your feet together" enough for it to be a consideration.

Well, I could always throw a couple of air activated hand/foot warmers in if I get cold. I also owna pair of Ice Breakers and these would maybe work...but it might cramp up my room inside.

I am not afraid to spend $$ when I guy has to, in order to get a great product...but $350 for a sleeping bag with suspenders on it is just nuts to me. I plan on sewing some magnets in this and using these strong magnets like more and more hunting products are coming out with.

The hbs has two separate legs. Really not much different than being in your hunting gear.

Put on a sleeping bag and have someone give you a little shove and see how well you can balance... :way:

Dont know how stocking feet would feel on a lone wolf platform either.

I cant see how there is much difference between the two. I havent been inside of either one so take this for what its worth, but I think if I lose my balance in the HBS your only going to be limited to the size your platform before you drop a foot off the edge. Most sleepingbags are going to have enough room for you to move your feet around to catch yourself, the down fall is still going to be the small platform. I dont know what there is exactly in the bottom of sleeping bag, but I would assume you could get 18x18in out one. IMO your not "tieing your feet together" enough for it to be a consideration.

For those that want legs; simply cut the bag down the middle, sew away, and there you go. A sleeping bag with legs and for those that want their boots on, they can wear them. Get a $9.99 pair of suspenders, and some 3D leafy HS material, sold at any sporting goods store. These military bags have a thin poly fill on the outside, a air/water resistant inner liner that holds the down, and the inside is thick down. These are warm and Jax in Ames sells them, as well as you can find them on line anywhere. When they say EXTREME weather on them, they mean it. These are WARM. Best off all, the bag is quiet and cold doesn't affect it's quietness or flexibility. These bags are so thick, that you won't feel any discomfort on your feet standing on a Lone wolf platform for 5 minutes while you smoke a monster. If I wanted comfort, I wouldn't sit in a Lone Wolf seat anyway.

Last edited:
One other idea Don is to put some slippers in the bottom that you can just shimmy onto your feet once in the bag. I have some bison leather slippers that I got from Cabelas and a couple years ago, I was thinking of doing this very thing with the same exact sleeping bag. I've always used surplus bags since I was a kid and I too thought it would make a nice HBS knockoff. The leather slippers are the bee's knees for those bags. They're tough on the soles, easy to get on and add a little more insulation as well as stability when standing. I ended up springing for the HBS but I know where you're coming from with the plan.

Ya, I'm not sure how you could turn around if needed to make a shot on your opposite side.... you can't really hop in a treestand.

not for me, I'll go with the real deal if I decide I need it.....

That'd be the bees knees for late Nov/early Dec. gun hunting here.
Truthfully, I don't think there's a snowballs chance I could enjoy bowhunting when it gets cold,..really cold.

That'd be the bees knees for late Nov/early Dec. gun hunting here.
Truthfully, I don't think there's a snowballs chance I could enjoy bowhunting when it gets cold,..really cold.

Kaare, the extreme cold mummy bag is rated for -40 F. They are amazing.

Top Bottom