Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

My first archery deer!

J

johnnyv

Well, I finally got my first archery deer. Killed this doe on Sunday morning. I miss judged the distance and shot right under her in a cut cornfield, she spooked a little but I used a couple of doe bleats and she and the two button bucks that were with her came right over to my shooting lane 20 yds away. She put her head down and straightened out her front legs like she was going to stop, I let my arrow fly and I made what I thought was a marginal shot at best, hit her at the back of the ribs on the right. I was almost SICK thinking I'd have this deer run for miles and leave little blood trail, the meat would be spoiled from the gut shot, etc.. I beat myself up mentally for about 45 min. then got down and retreived my arrow in the cornfield and walked over to where I hit her, My arrow was right there and covered with bright red blood (the whitetail.com arrow wrap never looked better!). There was a huge blood trail so I started following it slowly and found her no more than 65 yds from my stand, YEAH! What a relief.
I was going to donate her to the HUSH program, but I couldn't get ahold of any locker in my area on Sun. so I gave her to a family in my town that needs some help and loves venison. They were happy, I was happy! Feels good to have one under my belt, I learned a lot from the experience most importantly to STOP the deer or lead it a little.
John

Attachments

• 33197-doe1.jpg
    33197-doe1.jpg
    48.9 KB · Views: 12
Great job John
waytogo.gif

Top Bottom