Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Native grass seeding

Bundyjuice

I am going to be planting an acre of big blue and Indian grass. I’ll be using a brillion seeder. Just wondering what to use for a carrier for the seed.

Does it have a fluffy agitator ? If it doesn’t - u gonna have issues.
rice hulls can help in any drill - even to dilute the seed. & powder graphite.
if u don’t have fluffy agitator- u r gonna have headaches u don’t want. Try your seeding method before u intend to seed so u can trouble shoot in advance. County NRCS may have drill to rent as well.

Our PF chapter has 3 native grass drills, all with the agitators Sligh mentions. We use cocoa hulls for a seed filler, particularly for the small seed pollinator plantings. They are available through our Farm Fleet store. I have no idea if that will help through a Brillion. If you're doing tillage, I would consider using a fertilizer spreader with a carrier, but calibrating it for one acre will be tough.

I've used micro pine shavings (pet bedding) in the past out of my truax seed slinger. I agree with others, not gonna work well out of a drop seeder like a Brillion. The last time I planted fluffies in a large scale I just rented the drill from the county for $200.

I do remember a guy on here one time used cat liter as a carrier don't recall the application.. Maybe oats would help ? .. I use my Brillion for Switchgrass works like a champ.. No experience on fluffies...

Missouri Conservation Dept had an atv spreader with agitator they'd loan out, maybe IOWA DNR has something similar?

Here’s the major down side of a seed slinger or spreader. & the “seed slinger” is designed for spreading fluffies....
you are so limited on how far it can broadcast. Adding stuff to it can help but still lil limited... For example- go throw a feather & see how far u can throw it. If it’s a small amount of acres.... tight passes & lots of them will work but it’s time consuming. Not practical on more than a few acres IMO.
last I heard, I think one of NRCS offices here was renting a drill for $8/acre. That’s incredibly cheap & a “no Brainer”. When u have little snow or no snow - if ground is firm or froze - u can seed in those conditions. Just going right on top with a drill.
For folks who have large amount of acres to do- folks really might think about getting that drill & tractor dialed in and running in next few weeks here. Those with smaller amounts- March & April. If u r seeding any switchgrass- I’d want to seed anytime now & before April.

Here’s the major down side of a seed slinger or spreader. & the “seed slinger” is designed for spreading fluffies....
you are so limited on how far it can broadcast. Adding stuff to it can help but still lil limited... For example- go throw a feather & see how far u can throw it. If it’s a small amount of acres.... tight passes & lots of them will work but it’s time consuming. Not practical on more than a few acres IMO.
last I heard, I think one of NRCS offices here was renting a drill for $8/acre. That’s incredibly cheap & a “no Brainer”. When u have little snow or no snow - if ground is firm or froze - u can seed in those conditions. Just going right on top with a drill.
For folks who have large amount of acres to do- folks really might think about getting that drill & tractor dialed in and running in next few weeks here. Those with smaller amounts- March & April. If u r seeding any switchgrass- I’d want to seed anytime now & before April.
Seeding fluffies from the slinger on the ATV is kinda like nascar. Tight laps and ya gotta go fast!!! haha

It does work, but def not ideal for large plantings. I'll be doing it again this year on a 6 acre planting. I expect it will take a couple hours.

Top Bottom