Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Native plantings

bjkpharmd

I was able to attend an ISU field event on native grasses tonight. I have always been interested natives because I own a decent size prairie remnant and am looking to replant quite a bit of the rest of the place into natives. Anyway, it was really well spent time to view different results from different methods of ground prep. Also super knowledge base in the DNR and extension reps that provided the show.

Pharmer,
I would like to plant some natives next year for cover. Do you have any suggestions? Can be tall grasses or nasty and thick.

Thanks,

BT

I got quite a bit of help from the DNR private lands biologist. Not sure there is a "correct" or best way, it depends on what is already there. Tonight the best stand of native stuff was done with a burn 4/11/04 of existing brome, disced about 3 weeks later then sprayed with Roundup and Journey when it was planted about 2 weeks later. There are more of these field days planned but I don't know the locations- I'd check with local extension office or contact DNR guys. I'm doing the prep a little different but is based on what local NRCS office and PF chapter people have said about establishing more prairie. I'm going to collect my own seed this fall and try to limit how much I have to buy.

I planted big blu, litlle blu, and several other native grasses this year but it takes a year to come up. I planted oats for a cover crop. I drill planted it.

Thanks for responses guys,
I have oats now but would like to switch to something a little taller, more seclusive. I might have to try some of the blue.

Thanks
grin.gif

BT

I've done a number of straight switch grass cover plots in the past, cave-in-rock variety. Field goldenrod has come up on its own and is not all bad because it stands well even under heavy wet snows.

I've also established some broad spectrum prairie that provides good cover. It has a lot of tall forbs which helps.

Next I think I'll be trying a mixture of the taller native grasses, big blue, Indian grass and switch. There are some quite tall native sunflowers that would be good in the mix. I think the advantage of a mix of grasses is that different ones thrive better under different season and location conditions so something should do well in each spot each year. Big blue seemed to really thrive this year.

I think about anything is better than brome and fescue neither of which is very wildlife friendly. A native grass and forb mix adds great color all summer and attracts a wide variety of wildlife besides deer.

I've done Big Blue, Indian and a native switch that is suppose to be less agressive than cave-in rock. This stand off grass has really done well and after a burn this spring is way tall. The Indian grass is close to six feet and much off the blue is over eight. It is really a cool stand off grass. This spring we put in 24 acres of Little Blue, Indian grass and native forbs. These mixed variety seeding are really pleasing to the eye.

You can get native grass seed through the USFWS Partners program if they approve of your project. We got enough seed from them to plant 36 acres with a high quality tall grass prairie mix ... best of all it was free.

I contacted the extension office and found out who to contact for permission to return to the test plot and get some photos. I'll try to post them along with how the ground was prepped if/when I get back out there. Amazing difference in how thing were growing.

Top Bottom