Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Neat Experience

ShedHunter1

Had a pretty cool thing happen today. Took the kids to the farm today to check on the Clover plots after the first cutting and as we were riding the 4-wheeler down a a trail a doe jumps up and runs about 40 ft and just stands there. We look and here there is a fresh set of twins laying there in a beaten down bed. My Dad was also with us and couldn't believe it. I snapped some pictures with the kids. Taylor and Ben were amazed. We never touched them accept for Ben who grabbed the little guys leg. The mother stayed the hole time and was ready to come back as we left.
Very cool experience for the kids and for Dad and I.

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

Last edited:
Pretty cool for the kids! Watch those does though. I have had them chase me to my truck, when trying to move fawns off an area I am planning on mowing.

Sad story but i found a newborn fawn several years ago that was laying right beside the mother which appeared to have died from complications... She was only 10 feet away from the fawn but the coyotes had already got to her. the fawn was in a thicket and was in really bad shape. My buddy and i took it back to the house and bottle fed it for a week before we turned it over to conservation department. They are pretty cool creatures!

I was cutting a trail in some thick timber years ago and almost mowed over a fawn. Very close call. Had to check it out to make sure I didn't cut its legs. After looking it over for a moment and seeing that I did no harm, I couldn't help but to stand there and admire that little thing for a few more minutes. It sure added a whole new dimension to my love for whitetails. Very awesome encounter to say the least!

I have always wanted to touch a wild healthy deer, preferably an adult. Never had the chance in my life as of yet. Never had a chance to touch a fawn. Two weekends ago mowing a weedy clover plot, something moved in the grass a few yards, a fawn. It held tight as I got off the mower. Realized i didn't have my phone so no pic. I did touch it though carried it off the plot. Pretty cool. Still waiting for the adult to touch! So I get home and my son is bummed he wasn't there. Last weekend on 4 wheeler building fence he sees a doe and he thought a fawn. We drove over, the doe left but in 6 inch of grass was a fawn lying with front legs oustretched forward, head on ground between them, not budging with 2 4 wheelers idling 2 yards away. This time we had cameras and took pictures. My son was alot happier. He would love a pet deer. I hate to see them penned up!

Here is one of several so far, over the last 10 days. I am starting to see them follow the moms more now, but everyone should hold off mowing another couple of weeks, if possible.

This one was VERY tough to not pick up and take home. Found him yesterday on a foodplot after the big rain flooded his den, I'm guessing. There is a big brushpile close by, where the rest of the family probably was.

That's an awesome experience for your kids and you! Back in June 2008, on my way to the ER after getting injured on a wildfire in Northern CA, a blacktail doe and her newborn fawn (week old, maybe) bounded across the road in front of the truck I was in. The fawn immediately laid down in the middle of the road just like in those pics to "hide" from us. It was great to forget about my injury/pain for a few moments to witness that. On more than one occasion, I've come across elk calves bedded down and hiding, but usually from a distance. I've also jumped late fawns (still spotted) during the August/Sept otc archery deer hunt down here. That just never gets old seeing those little buggers!

Joe I bet you have that little smelly guy in the house next to that wolf dog. :)
We have been getting non stop pictures of the little guys.

picture.php

I literally was about 6 inches from stepping on this little guy while I was out mushroom hunting this year. They sure are cute.

I always cringe when I hear city people saying that they found an abandoned fawn so they take it in.

957AA278-BE7D-48F7-8005-9C9CBAFEFCA7_zpslr57hqu8.jpg

As a no-till farmer, all the stalks from last years' crops are still on the ground when I plant. I have been seeing more and more fawns "hidden in plain sight" out in the middle of crop fields. They are impossible to see until they run. They'll run 50 yards and just drop back to the ground to hide. Pretty resourceful of the does as predators have to stumble across them out in the middle of a lot of acres.

Top Bottom