Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Necked cartidge bill returns HF 716

Blaming bow hunters? Almost every bownhunter I know is also a gun hunter. This is not a bow hunter vs. Gun hunter issue. This is a conservation AND safety issue.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

New email received. I can't tell if I am a "bad actor bow hunter" or just a regular bow hunter. How exactly does one become a "self proclaimed bow hunter"? Still quite odd.

All, I have been advised that the email has been rewritten or will soon be rewritten. Let's let this one work itself out. People way above my pay grade and ability are handling this.
Care to provide any additional context to your statement?

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

I would'nt be on the IFC's mailing list but I found this with a quick google search.
http://iowafc.org/action/

Support HF716
2017 witnessed the passage of two bills by the Iowa legislature that were of great importance to the members and supporters of Iowa Firearms Coalition. One of those was the Omnibus Gun Bill of 2017, which included a provision that legalized the supervised shooting of handguns by youths in Iowa. The second was the legalization of deer hunting with rifles chambered for cartridges typically used in handguns. Both of these measures have proved to be wildly popular with Iowans.

However, these changes led IFC and others to discover some other problems with our current laws and regulations governing the deer hunt.

First, no one under the age of seventeen is allowed to hunt deer with a handgun. So, hunting families can now teach their younger members to shoot handguns, but now how to hunt with them.
Second, when the Natural Resources Commission (NRC) adopted new rules for the “handgun cartridge” rifles, it also arbitrarily rewrote the rules on handguns, making it illegal to hunt with an entire class of pistols (AR-type and similar) that had been in common use by hunters for years. This rule change was not published in the 2017-2018 Hunting Regulations, nor was it publicized by the NCR/DNR. As a result, some Iowa hunters received citations for violating rules they didn’t know existed, with the same pistols they had used in previous seasons.

IFC and NRA have worked for three years with NRC, DNR, and legislators to address these issues. During the course of these efforts, we discovered that the Iowa Code and the NRC regulations were unnecessarily confusing in places, contained superfluous and outdated restrictions, and that the regulations were even in conflict with statutory requirements in some regards.

While the NRC withdrew their objectionable new rule on handguns, IFC, NRA and legislators worked to carefully craft a legislative solution to all of these issues. HF716 was introduced in 2019 and was passed by the House. Ill-informed opposition from a “progressive” Senator combined with a fast-approaching legislative deadline to keep the bill from being considered in the Senate last year. IFC and NRA worked “under the radar” this year to revive the bill in that chamber. It has now cleared both subcommittee and the Natural Resources Committee hearing. But now that it is eligible for Senate debate, the same forces have suddenly begun to orchestrate opposition to the bill. Despite their claim, this bill will NOT allow for the general use of high-powered hunting rifles for deer, nor is it intended to be the camel’s nose in the tent on that issue.

This bill, HF716, will allow supervised youth to hunt deer with handguns, will require NRC/DNR to use standard federal definitions for classes and categories of firearms, and will clarify and simplify the rules on what ammunition is allowed for hunting deer.

Don’t allow a misinterpretation of this bill (or the spread of outright misinformation) spoil three year’s work. Pass this bill!!!

Care to provide any additional context to your statement?

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

I acted out of anger yesterday and cooler heads, rightfully so, prevailed.

Although inflammatory to some, me included, I still think the best thing to do is let it go. Neither troll nor let yourself be trolled on this issue.

I would'nt be on the IFC's mailing list but I found this with a quick google search.
http://iowafc.org/action/

Support HF716
2017 witnessed the passage of two bills by the Iowa legislature that were of great importance to the members and supporters of Iowa Firearms Coalition. One of those was the Omnibus Gun Bill of 2017, which included a provision that legalized the supervised shooting of handguns by youths in Iowa. The second was the legalization of deer hunting with rifles chambered for cartridges typically used in handguns. Both of these measures have proved to be wildly popular with Iowans.

However, these changes led IFC and others to discover some other problems with our current laws and regulations governing the deer hunt.

First, no one under the age of seventeen is allowed to hunt deer with a handgun. So, hunting families can now teach their younger members to shoot handguns, but now how to hunt with them.
Second, when the Natural Resources Commission (NRC) adopted new rules for the “handgun cartridge” rifles, it also arbitrarily rewrote the rules on handguns, making it illegal to hunt with an entire class of pistols (AR-type and similar) that had been in common use by hunters for years. This rule change was not published in the 2017-2018 Hunting Regulations, nor was it publicized by the NCR/DNR. As a result, some Iowa hunters received citations for violating rules they didn’t know existed, with the same pistols they had used in previous seasons.

IFC and NRA have worked for three years with NRC, DNR, and legislators to address these issues. During the course of these efforts, we discovered that the Iowa Code and the NRC regulations were unnecessarily confusing in places, contained superfluous and outdated restrictions, and that the regulations were even in conflict with statutory requirements in some regards.

While the NRC withdrew their objectionable new rule on handguns, IFC, NRA and legislators worked to carefully craft a legislative solution to all of these issues. HF716 was introduced in 2019 and was passed by the House. Ill-informed opposition from a “progressive” Senator combined with a fast-approaching legislative deadline to keep the bill from being considered in the Senate last year. IFC and NRA worked “under the radar” this year to revive the bill in that chamber. It has now cleared both subcommittee and the Natural Resources Committee hearing. But now that it is eligible for Senate debate, the same forces have suddenly begun to orchestrate opposition to the bill. Despite their claim, this bill will NOT allow for the general use of high-powered hunting rifles for deer, nor is it intended to be the camel’s nose in the tent on that issue.

This bill, HF716, will allow supervised youth to hunt deer with handguns, will require NRC/DNR to use standard federal definitions for classes and categories of firearms, and will clarify and simplify the rules on what ammunition is allowed for hunting deer.

Don’t allow a misinterpretation of this bill (or the spread of outright misinformation) spoil three year’s work. Pass this bill!!!
How do you respond to all the other cartridges with would end up allowing... all listed in this thread.

How do you respond to all the other cartridges with would end up allowing... all listed in this thread.

I responded to the IFC email I received asking what new cartridges would be allowed and what would restrict cartridges such as 375 H&H Magnum. I'll share what I hear back.

Last edited:

I have no response. I do not approve of the bill and have let the appropriate people know multiple times. I just shared what I found.

No response from the IFC as to what would prevent cartridges such as 375 H&H Magnum, which makes me think the answer is "nothing".

IBA is still undecided on this one according to the lobbyist declarations.

Anyone care to share what is going on here? If this really allows these high powered cartridges, I would expect the IBA to be opposed. So, am I misreading the bill or did the IBA change their view on expanding rifle cartridges?

I'm really not trying to be a troll (if that was a reference to me), but this is a bit confusing.

IFC and NRA worked “under the radar” this year to revive the bill in that chamber. It has now cleared both subcommittee and the Natural Resources Committee hearing. But now that it is eligible for Senate debate, the same forces have suddenly begun to orchestrate opposition to the bill.

Pass this bill!!!
Is anyone surprised by this statement? “IFC & NRA worked under the radar” on this bill. Shocker!!! Last year when it was rightfully defeated- we all said on here - “it’ll be back!!! It’s already written & being tweaked for next year”. We all knew this.

Some massive opposition coming from outdoorsmen & hunters. Who woulda thought?!?!? I’m gonna guess this site is 99.99% of folks on here are 2nd amendment supporters. We’re disgusted with this and the IFC & NRA & legislatures need to hear from YOU! NRA & IFC are out of their lane!!!! Stay out of our deer season!!! U ain’t ruining our deer hunting to prop up your sagging gun sales!!!!! I’ve had it with IFC & NRA on these issues. This is garbage!!!!

Hey IFC, NRA & iowa legislatures.... been seeing constant flocks of snow geese above my farms every day like 500 yards up there. PLEASE introduce high powers for snow geese!!!! Would give so many sportsmen a real chance at these high fliers!!! Maybe some .50 BMG’s with tips that explode into flack?!?!? Stay outta our deer season!!!!!! Go cause issues for some other outdoor group for a change!!!!! How about fishing with Uzi’s?!?!?! How nice would it be to take some gobblers out at 600 yards when they legalize .338 Lapuas like I hope they propose!! Stay in your lane NRA/IFC!!!!!! Get outta our deer hunting!!!!!

When discussing this with someone from the pro HF716 crowd, I was told that the nitro rounds ballistically drop quickly, so no problem for Iowa. Break out your elephant guns.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

All, the IBA will continue to follow this bill very very closely. The bill is currently on the Senate eligible for debate calendar but will still need to be moved to the daily debate calendar before it can be brought to the floor. IF this bill is moved to the daily calendar we will let everyone know and that will be the time to ramp up the emails, phone calls and personal contacts. At this point, on this bill, the sound of crickets chirping is a good thing.

One other point, the Senate and the House have their own daily debate calendars. The daily debate calendar for the House is currently about three pages long, the Senate's is less than one. The point being IF this bill makes it to the Senate daily calendar there will be very little time for us out here in cyber land to act on it but rest assured those actually at the capital will be all over it.

When I was in the local big box store yesterday the only busy area was the hand gun section. Nobody was respecting my 6' corona zone.

This bill was moved to the Senate daily debate calendar today. Time is very short contact your Senator.

We felt this bill was dead but someone has breathed new life into it.

Email sent. Seemed odd to reference a house bill to my senator. Is there a Senate bill # or are they actually considering this house bill?

Get this stopped. No one from the IFC responded what would prevent cartridges such as 375 H&H Magnum. So, I am guessing they would be in.

Email sent. Seemed odd to reference a house bill to my senator. Is there a Senate bill # or are they actually considering this house bill?

Get this stopped. No one from the IFC responded what would prevent cartridges such as 375 H&H Magnum. So, I am guessing they would be in.

Bills retain the designation from the chamber they started in. This started and was passed by the House. If you look at specific bills they will have a listing of earlier iterations of the bill. It may get introduced as HF 123, gets passed by a committee and gets a different number before it is sent to the house to be voted on. So a file gets introduced as HF123, goes through committee and gets reassigned as HF234, the House approves the bill and it gets introduced to the Senate as HF234. If the Senate has a similar bill it will be noted on the bill's page. Lets say HF234 is a bill that requires only decaf coffee be served in the cafeteria on Tuesdays and the Senate has a bill SF789 that says only decaf coffee be served in the cafeteria on Thursdays. Each bill would be listed on the others page as a similar bill. Makes it easier to cross reference and lets you know the issue of de caff coffee is import to both chambers and something my result from the bills.

I don't know if that cleared anything up but it's late and I'm old.

Top Bottom