Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Need muzzleloader help?

pandy175

Well ended the year with two tumblers and 1 misfire. One with white hots and one with triple 7. I cleaned and dried the gun before today’s tumbler. I think that maybe the bullets went twenty yards. I am shooting a kp1 and using Winchester 777 primers. The weather was 11 degrees and 22 degrees. I cleaned and air compressed the breech plug. It was not plugged. I am just really at a loss for what is going wrong? The misfire totally blackened the inside of the white hot pellets, but didn't set them off. Any ideas????

Last edited by a moderator:
Here is what little I know about the original question posted by pandy175.

I know nothing about White Hots.
<O:p</O:p
I have never had any problems shooting dry 777.
I am not a fan of <?xml:namespace prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com
><st1:City alt=
</st1:City>Winchester 777 primers!

And finally, the KP1 is one of the reasons Knight went out of business………so I am told. :(
I didn’t help with your question, perhaps someone else can?????? :)

Sorry, I hope you get the problem figured out, and please keep us posted.

The misfires are from the triple seven primers. Those things are junk. Throw them all away ASAP. As far as the bullets, you need to find a better bullet. I used to shoot powerbelts great out of my gun after a few years I started getting more and more tumblers. Something had changed with the bullet / gun combination. Switched to precision rifle dead center bullets and haven't had an issue yet.

I always fire a primer through my gun before I load it. I always get it dry too but better to be safe. Also keep the gun in the cold, condensation can cause a misfire but I just about guarantee it was the Triple Seven pellets. Three of us went rounds with those things and they flat out do not work well at all. Hang fires all the time at the range.

I don't think there is nothing wrong with the white hots it is more the primers. Put in a Winchester 209 primer and she will go bang every time unless the powder is soaked.

I use the CCI 209M primers and I haven't ever had any if those problems. Its a magnum primer and what is recommended for the blackhorn powder that I shoot, like Liv said shoot some primers through it before loading. I always shoot two or three primers run a swab down the barrel and load it, hasn't failed me yet.

Last edited:
Do you happen to have any loose Triple Seven? If so I would try it, I have had way better luck with loose powder than I have with pellets. I gave the pellets I had away.

Pandy,
Are you using the red discs? I always do even though you can cap without. I have had that KP1 sit all summer (twice :D) and fired it on both occasions with accuracy as when it was put away. Moisture is getting in there somehow is what I am guessing. I use the Winchester primers, triple se7en pellets and Barnes spitfires. Man, that would suck. There is nothing worse than not having confidence in your gun.

I always shoot two or three primers run a swab down the barrel and load it, hasn't failed me yet.

This is also very good advice and I follow this practice as well. But I put a patch on the end of the jag and shoot into the patch, it should blow a nice hole in that patch then you know your plug is free of any grease or debris.

Last edited:
I've been shooting 777 primer and pellets and havent had a problem yet. I dont bring the gun inside when Im hunting with it.

Where do you store your powder is there a possibility moisture got to it?

Powder stored in a bag in my muzzleloader tackle box, some in reloads, and the gun is keep in the garage after the hunt, with the case open. It is about 40 degrees in my garage compared to the 10 or 20 outside when done hunting.

Last edited:
Powder stored in a bag in my muzzleloader tackle box, some in reloads, and the gun is keep in the garage after the hunt, with the case open. It is about 40 degrees in my garage compared to the 10 or 20 outside when done hunting.

I use a water tight box like an amo box 10 to 20 degrees will cause condesation.

Dont know if that will fix it but it wont hurt.

Last edited:
Well I am an internet research nut and this one slipped by and cost me 5 does this year. I think we have a winner and I will try the CCI or Winchester regular before the weather turns. <O:p</O:p
By Randy Wakeman<O:p></O:p>
Despite properly fitting sabots and using Federal 209A primers, I had hang fires with the Knight during my cold weather shooting. The problem is the very poor Knight Breech plug design that sprays primer residue all over the outside of the breech plug and inside the action, enough to foul the bottom of my scope. The Knight Breech plug is recessed so far that the breechblock does not come close to supporting it. Rather than properly encapsulating the primer, as the Omega does, the 209 primer is held in its sloppy breech plug pocket by a magnet. Upon ignition, due to the sloppy fit and lacking any piloting support from an extractor, or support from the back of the action, the 209 primer is free to propel itself backwards, spewing its residue everywhere. Everyplace except where it is all supposed to go, that is, which is through the breech plug to ignite the powder? Why only Savage Arms and Thompson/Center can design an efficient breech plug is a mystery. Only in muzzle loading are consumers asked to tolerate this level of unnecessary blowback. We shouldn’t have to.<O:p</O:p

Top Bottom