Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

New Flintlock Longrifle

Shovelbuck

A man once told me......."everyone should own a skinny flinter once in their life" :)
Awhile back, a lady that was in charge of selling off the items of an estate called me after reading the newspaper article about me. Seems there was a lot of muzzleloading stuff at this estate and she felt it should go to somebody that would care for it. We set a time to meet and she gave me first chance at the stuff the day before the actual sale started.
Long story short, she had stuff priced so reasonable that I bought everything that was muzzleloading related. Two high end rifle parts sets from Track of the wolf, leather, chisels, files, rasps, shooting supplies, etc. etc. :)
From there, I set up a new work bench in the shop and started building one of the guns. I've got a lot of muzzleloaders, but never have had a carved and engraved longrifle. I had to teach myself how to carve and engrave along with making an engravers vise and the gravers needed for the job of engraving the brass and steel.
Overall, it was a great learning experience and I ended up with a great, skinny, flintlock rifle. Sure, mistakes were made along the way, that's how we learn. My carving and engraving needs improvement and I'll keep practicing before the next build. I'm setting up a workbench in the basement so I can work on stuff during the winter so I'll probably start the next rifle then.

Workbench with the gun in progress.

Engraving vise made from a bowling ball. Works great, watch the video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=urK8LD3LPmg

A few rifle pics.............

Did I mention it shoots pretty good? :)

Beautiful muzzy. Amazing workmanship.
The video was cool as well. The link didn't work directly, but searching for the string (urK8LD3LPmg) let me find it.

Top Bottom