Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

New Here- New Farm

newfarmer

Hello Everyone! We just bought a small farm in Iowa (not necessarily for deer, but its a good area) and I really just came for a bunch of information. I have creeped on the page awhile, and finally wanted to make the plunge as this will be the first spring and I will be looking for lots of direction.
Only downfall, is today the neighbor decided he wanted to go and "hinge cut" about a 10 ft wide path on the property line, effectively blocking (intentionally) all of the trails that lead onto our property. We have a creek that runs through that used to have a dam and plan on putting that back in (will be looking for best advice on what to put in) and I am going to essentially cut off his water source until our pond gets filled up. I have not even talked to the neighbor about deer hunting or anything for that nature, but I take it as a pretty big shot that he wanted to cut off all deer traffic to our place. Thoughts? Should I not get to worked up until I see how deer start to move again? It wasnt uncommon to have 80 deer in our yard a night the past few months, and picked up sheds literally feet from the front door. Or do we think this hinge cut will essentially not play a role as a problem?

I'd say this, "all resolutions begin with a conversation". I wouldn't get too worked up about things, and wouldn't rush to judgement or action. Talk to him about what his thoughts are for deer management and what part you can play in that, if it fits your wants. Don't make too many assumptions about what he did and why. Have a conversation instead of a pissing contest..

Well- A little more context to it (not sure its needed) but apparently the wife talked to him on Friday, he was cutting a "lane" to his treestand...as soon as she was outside after that, he left... (I was out of state)...He was not back all weekend, and today showed up and was cutting. When I got home, he saw me walking across the yard and left. I had to go into work, and apparently not 10 minutes after I left he showed back up, cut a few more trees and then was gone. He wanted to buy this property, but his wife told him no.
None of that really matters, and I am not looking at a pissing contest. Simply was stating more or less should I be worried more about deer movement/traffic/blockage versus getting into it with the neighbor. Like literally, how much does hinge cutting "stop" deer I guess is more my question
(the dam and me cutting off his water has nothing to do with any of it, just simple context thrown in about the property/work I will be doing)

As much as he wants to block deer travel, it most likely won't work, especially if your property has anything more desirable than his.
On the water issue, I'd check into it. I believe modifying an existing or constructing a new dam requires permission or a permit. Just trying to keep you out of hot water with authorities as it sounds like the neighbor is trying to make your life miserable already.

Just make sure he cut on his side of the the fence and if property was not surveyed? Make sure he didn't cut some of your trees? Always remember he tries keeping his deer from crossing onto your property but he also stopped them from crossing onto his property! A double edged sword!

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

Hello Everyone! We just bought a small farm in Iowa (not necessarily for deer, but its a good area) and I really just came for a bunch of information. I have creeped on the page awhile, and finally wanted to make the plunge as this will be the first spring and I will be looking for lots of direction.
Only downfall, is today the neighbor decided he wanted to go and "hinge cut" about a 10 ft wide path on the property line, effectively blocking (intentionally) all of the trails that lead onto our property. We have a creek that runs through that used to have a dam and plan on putting that back in (will be looking for best advice on what to put in) and I am going to essentially cut off his water source until our pond gets filled up. I have not even talked to the neighbor about deer hunting or anything for that nature, but I take it as a pretty big shot that he wanted to cut off all deer traffic to our place. Thoughts? Should I not get to worked up until I see how deer start to move again? It wasnt uncommon to have 80 deer in our yard a night the past few months, and picked up sheds literally feet from the front door. Or do we think this hinge cut will essentially not play a role as a problem?
Wow 80 deer in the backyard! You hit the jackpot there. Good luck. I doubt the neighbor will stop that.

I personally would not get too worked up....at the end of the day we all do anything and everything we can to keep deer on our side of the fence. As long as he is on his side then not much to do...but from the sounds of it he literally just created alot of bedding right next to your piece so I think it sounds like more of a positive than a negative, but like IBH mentioned without a map its hard telling...

From Experience when I bought ground a few years ago from an older lady that had just lost her husband. First day we hunted it the phone rang and it was the neighbor. He didn't know the ground sold as he contacted the lady first. Well come to find out the night before him and his buddies were all over the ground looking for a deer they shot. SO the next day I did the neighborly thing and tried to help find it. I wish I would of known they were in there the night before as I wouldn't of hunted there. Here's where the blood starts to boil. Come to find out they had multiple deer stands on the ground I just bought as they knew the lady wasn't going out there to check. Then found where they had knocked the fences down and cut shooting lanes on the ground I bought. So I went in and did the TSI work which was along the fence. Hoping to deter the deer movement through there. I guess I handled it as if you want to be sneaky and trespass two can play at that game, I'll just try and make a bigger fence you can't do that too. I will tell you one thing I"ve seen a lot less pressure on the fence line once I did that from them.

I'm all for working together but taking advantage of an old lady just really chaps my hide.

Kill your neighbor with kindness. Buy him a case of beer. Take him a pound of jerky. Ask if he needs help hinge cutting. See about working together instead of against each other. Life will be more pleasant. Heck give him permission to hunt with you. Getting along with the neighbors is a lot less tiresome then having a fued. I promise you there are plenty of deer for everyone. When you lay your head on your pillow at night you want to sleep knowing you done the right thing. I had a similar situation several years back with my farm just outside Keosauqua. I did exactly what I mention here. I opened up my farm to the neighbor, gave him keys to all my equipment to use as he wished, hunting when ever he wanted and vice versa. I could have been an asshole as that's how he started towards me. When I bought my farm I would have thought that he owned the deer the way he was acting. Today he is like a brother to me and when he seen what type of guy I am he changed his tune. Killing him with kindness is the best thing I could have done. I could have had a life long feud and life on the farm could have been miserable. But even for the biggest prick on the planet its hard for them to be nasty to a person that is always positive, happy and nice as can be. Like I said there are plenty of deer for everyone and no need for anyone to be greedy. I bet if he harvested a very nice buck on your place you would have a friend for life. Not to mention it never hurts to have help. Hunting rights is a bargaining chip for help on the farm. Just my .02!

Please let us know how this ends up. Interesting move by the neighbor to hinge cut the entire property line? Wow

I would just suggest to be yourself, be kind and helpful but don't let him dictate the situation. It is your land, and over time you will figure it out and find out if he will work with you or be a problem. Good luck!

Top Bottom