Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

New Mexico NR Elk hunting......anyone have experience or knowledge

Falldreams

My travel hunting partner and I are at the beginning stages of looking into an Elk hunt in New Mexico. We have not yet experienced an out west elk hunt and looking to make it happen in the near future. From what we have researched and seen so far it feels like we are more confused now than before we began looking into it. Trying to figure out the laws and regulations to hunt elk in New Mexico is seemingly on par with trying to solve the worlds problems. Does anyone have any real life experience or knowledge on this????

No first hand experience, but I did spend some time looking into it. Outfitter or no outfitter? Good units without an outfitter tag you may be waiting a lifetime.

I drew an elk tag twice in NM. First trip, arrowed a cow elk at 9 yards. I was there to hunt elk, was happy to fill the tag. Second trip, there was a lot more pressure and fewer elk. I opted to hunt around Mt. Taylor, north of Grants, as the odds of drawing were better. That area is not known for trophy bulls. I took a similar approach in Wyoming and drew an elk tag for the Bighorn Mtns north of Sheridan. Again, not a trophy bull area, but odds of drawing were good and I was happy to be able to solo stumble around the woods with my bow.

My travel hunting partner and I are at the beginning stages of looking into an Elk hunt in New Mexico. We have not yet experienced an out west elk hunt and looking to make it happen in the near future. From what we have researched and seen so far it feels like we are more confused now than before we began looking into it. Trying to figure out the laws and regulations to hunt elk in New Mexico is seemingly on par with trying to solve the worlds problems. Does anyone have any real life experience or knowledge on this????
Been looking into this myself a lot lately. Best way is to work with an outfitter. Tell him your goal and he will out in for areas that meet that. If you work thru an outfitter an additional 10% of tags become available. Most of them that I have talked with charge a few bucks to do the whole process for you. Some want a payment up front/deposit for if you do draw but I have found many who don’t.

alternatively if you have the money you can do a private land hunt and are guaranteed a tag. Looking at 8-9k for this hunt or more

Go to Long Range hunting.com forum. Lot of guys there have experience in NM and couple outfitters. Then look at the outfitters. Ranges from low of $5500 to around $20K on the Indian reservations but huge bulls there. Lot of private landowner permits so no draw process but hunt quality really varies depending on the outfitter. Some require you to shoot the first bull seen even if a spike or your hunt is over. So check it out thoroughly and references.

If you attend the Classic this weekend, there is usually some outfitters from New Mexico attending.

Great information guys and I thank you for all advice and information! Has already fast forwarded my progress and knowledge.

If you attend the Classic this weekend, there is usually some outfitters from New Mexico attending.
I will likely be there saturday or sunday and be able to chat it up with a couple outfitters from New Mexico......the heads up on that idea is appreciated

Top Bottom