Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

New Plot

eiowaarcher

I am looking to plant a new plot next year. It will actually be an addition to my current plot. I have three strips of food following the tree line. The three strips are clover, turnips, and rye. The strips are between the timber and the crop field. I am wanting to plant something that can hide fawns in the spring and help my growing pheasant population (food and cover). I have a room to make another strip so my question is what should I plant? Any thoughts? Thanks for all the info guys! Great help!

Sorghum would be my advice. The deer love to eat it and pheasants love to knock down the stalks and eat them as well. It also is good cover for pheasants and deer. It provides good over hanging cover which is good because of our every growing hawk population. I have used sorghum as a food plot for many years on a farm that I both pheasant hunt and deer hunt.

If you planted your rye in the fall it should be good and tall in spring for fawns. Then come May you could till it under and plant Milo for the birds and deer.

Top Bottom