Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

New tractor

Hodge

was wondering what everyone's idea was on purchasing a new ~50 hp tractor with a loader. I am not a farmer. Just a guy that lives on 10 acres and messes around a lot with food plots on various farms. My question is which brand is best for the least amount of money. I will not be beating the hell out of it, so I don't need the highest quality tractor. I called a kioti dealer and I think it was a 44 hp with a loader and he said it was in the low to mid 20k's. Anyone know of any other brands that are similar or less? Should I steer away from kioti? Any help would be appreciated.

I have an LS 4041 and I have been happy with it. A big key is where will you get parts and service...you WILL need it. :) I don't know enough about Kioti to steer you one way or the other, but my personal experience with another "off" brand has been fine.

A big key is where will you get parts and service...you WILL need it. :)

This is very true.

I shopped pretty hard for tractors a few years ago. It came down to the closest dealer because I knew I'd be running for parts. No matter the color of the tractor and implements or how much you think you won't beat them, you will beat them and you will break them. Don't make me show you the parts bills.

The dealer is about an hour away from my house, so I'm assuming that they would be able to help me with parts and service.

I have had two kubotas and done nothing but regular maintenance. I paid high 20s for a 58 horse with a loader.

Aside from brand and all that stuff. IMO - if u can.... try and get the "frame size" that's got the heavier stuff like category 2 three point. It'll have bigger tires, more capacity if u need it & ability to run a variety of implements. I'd suggest getting one with one hydraulic outlet of course, loader & mfwd (4x4).

If planning to keep forever not a big deal, but resale would be a consideration for me. Easier to resell certain brands over others.

Hydro transmission is a must for me in these smaller tractors. Just too much back and forth and bucket work for anything else.

I looked and looked a few years back and ended up sticking with a Deere. Had to go used but it had super low hours on it. Personally I'd shy away from the off brands and stick with deere, case, kabota, or even new holland. Parts and maintenance will be a lot a easier. I agree with Sligh, go with that heavier built tractor. The Deere E series is priced cheaper but personally I think its built that way too so I went away from looking at those. But it depends on how you plan to use it. One thing also to consider, which I didn't, is if you will ever use chains. A lot of the smaller utility tractors won't allow for a enough fender clearance with chains on. Seems kind of stupid to build a tractor that can't have chains put on it. Chains are an absolute necessity for me in the winter on my drive so I ended up having to put spacers on the rear. Although its not a bad idea anyway. Makes the tractor a lot more stable.

I looked and looked a few years back and ended up sticking with a Deere. Had to go used but it had super low hours on it. Personally I'd shy away from the off brands and stick with deere, case, kabota, or even new holland. Parts and maintenance will be a lot a easier. I agree with Sligh, go with that heavier built tractor. The Deere E series is priced cheaper but personally I think its built that way too so I went away from looking at those. But it depends on how you plan to use it. One thing also to consider, which I didn't, is if you will ever use chains. A lot of the smaller utility tractors won't allow for a enough fender clearance with chains on. Seems kind of stupid to build a tractor that can't have chains put on it. Chains are an absolute necessity for me in the winter on my drive so I ended up having to put spacers on the rear. Although its not a bad idea anyway. Makes the tractor a lot more stable.

Just an FYI, but LS makes the New Hollands up to I think 50 HP.

If it were me an hauling wasn't a factor I would go used and buy bigger. I personally have never, or met anyone who said," I just bought too big a tractor" you always wish you had more power, more reach, more hydraulic power. If I had choice of one I'm a skidsteer guy myself, way more versatile unless of course you are planning on pulling a drill.

Was going to buy a 3038E, ended up buying a 4044m.... wish I would have bought a 75hp with a cab.

Just remember the grass will be greener.

A few years back we decided that the old 4020 was "too big" for the farm these days as we are no longer "actually" farming and rather food plotting. The farm is really hilly and the 4020 could reach less than 50% of the locations we wanted to use it. We sold the 4020 buck/mx7 and all and went with a JD 3039R. I can tell you the utility tractor is much easier to start in the winter. Mows/plows more efficient then the 4020 for our location. It however does not replace a "Full size" tractor. It is much more prone to being "tippy" either while mowing or with a bucket load in the air. It does not have the weight for pulling "large" trees. But overall it serves our purpose just fine on 150 acres... But looking back the 4 series may have been a better choice.

I would stick name brand to if ur going to ever upgrade. I agree with alot of these comments. If u go Deere definitely go 4000 series forsure 3 is just alot more tippy have 1 and know. I also agree get a used 1 pay much less n usually can find with really low hrs. Had a buddy that was going to buy off brand ended up buying a Deere n could still sell it for what he paid.

I would stick to one of the main brands, Deere,Case,New Holland or Kubota. I would also stay away from a hydro unless loader work and lawn mowing is its primary use. I would base the sale on dealer support and warranty . Another brand that I have heard good things about but no personal knowledge is Mahandri.
In the compact tractor category there is a lot of blurred lines as far as where they are made and who makes them.

Last edited:
  • Deleted by Sligh1
  • Reason: Duplicate
Show…
Top Bottom