Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

No- Till Drilling fall plot mixes

Have any of you guys planted your fall plot mixes with a no-till drill? I have a great plains 606NT with small seed box. I am thinking about trying to drill RWWP Harvest Salad (Winter Wheat, Rye, Austrailian Winter Peas and Oats) and Plot Topper (brassica mix).
The only think keeping me from going ahead with it is the varying seed sizes and what seed cup adjustments to use.
The drought we have had down here this year is terrible and Id hate to work the ground if I can help it.

While many people reading this forum have had so much rain that they have experienced flooding this year, I know your pain man, as my farm is in the same region as yours and it has been indescribably dry for the past 2 years. Like you, I am moving towards not using the tiller at all so as not to dry out the soil. I am not there yet, but I now see that as a necessity in these dry areas. FWIW, I also follow Grant Woods on his Growing Deer website and for basically the same reasons, (persistent drought, thin topsoil, clay or rocky soil, etc.) he has converted over to what he is calling the "Buffalo" system. Basically, you don't till, disk or plow the soil...ever.

I have had the "fall mix" planted for me though with a grain drill and it worked very well. I am not sure though what precisely the man did to mix the seed, etc. I do know that he got it all planted in one pass. You could always plant in two passes though, big seeds first, small seeds second, etc.

While many people reading this forum have had so much rain that they have experienced flooding this year, I know your pain man, as my farm is in the same region as yours and it has been indescribably dry for the past 2 years. Like you, I am moving towards not using the tiller at all so as not to dry out the soil. I am not there yet, but I now see that as a necessity in these dry areas. FWIW, I also follow Grant Woods on his Growing Deer website and for basically the same reasons, (persistent drought, thin topsoil, clay or rocky soil, etc.) he has converted over to what he is calling the "Buffalo" system. Basically, you don't till, disk or plow the soil...ever.

I have had the "fall mix" planted for me though with a grain drill and it worked very well. I am not sure though what precisely the man did to mix the seed, etc. I do know that he got it all planted in one pass. You could always plant in two passes though, big seeds first, small seeds second, etc.
Glad to hear you have had success with it. Luckily I have a small seeds box so that I can do it all in one pass. My guess is that I will just have to run the seed mix through and calibrate it to 50#/acre.

Glad to hear you have had success with it. Luckily I have a small seeds box so that I can do it all in one pass. My guess is that I will just have to run the seed mix through and calibrate it to 50#/acre.

I think you should come out fine, if there is any planting where there is some "wiggle room", I would say it is the fall mix. It's hard to not get that to grow. :)

As soon as the dozers were done with my new plot I got fertilizer down and got some plot screen drilled. Planted 2 days after we got a decent shot of rain. There was some moisture in the ground still so hopefully it will germ and get to a decent height by fall.

Top Bottom