Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Non-Typical Deer Camera - RIP OFF!!

koba

Folks i have had N.T.'s for about 10 years now. I was recently on my 3rd camera. It broke instantly when i purchased it. about a year later it broke again, I sent it in and they said i could upgrade for $100 for a NEW camera. They sent me a NEW CAPTURE. It NEVER worked ! I sent it back and they wanted $80 to fix the NEW camera, they said i had bent the Compac card flash insert. I refused, they sent the BROKEN camera BACK ! (after 2 HEATED debates over the phone) I REFUSED the broken camera from U.P.S. and canceled the $100 credit card bill. So now i am OUT a previous broken camera, plus postage of $15. What would you guys DO ?? Has any one else experienced this ? I also wasted probably 2 hours on the phone Plus long distance minutes!! Pissed of in MICHIGAN !!

Forward this link to customer service and see if they want to clear their name. Thanks for sharing, these threads show up when you search these cameras using Google, etc so know everyone doing searches for these cameras can see what kind of customer service they have.

I own a couple of their cameras and other than having one stolen my cameras have worked flawlessly, now with that being said I purchased several for a few friends and all of theirs have taken a dump and they too have gotten the same service you have.

I can't understand how they can actually expect someone to trade in a $400+ camera for a $200 one. I'll never buy another one made by them that's for sure! I just hope mine keep working!

Their customer service department must be a bunch of idiots. About a year ago I got a couple brand new captures in the mail and at first I thought they were for me since they were one of our sponsors. As I looked the paperwork over closer I saw that they were actually replacement cameras for a Chris Ellis that lived out East. It had his phone number on the return order so I called. It was a pretty interesting phone call as his wife took the call and she said she freaked out when she saw her husbands name come up on the caller ID but yet knew he was in the other room on another phone.

He called me back and I told him I would ship them to him and he said he would call Non Typical and make sure all his other cameras were sent to him instead of me. Pretty wild since now he and I have become pretty good friends over their screw up.

Last edited:
Good businesses or bad businesses need to be promoted as such. In general- if a business does an exceptional job OR a bad job- I'd post it on all sorts of different websites. Just my generic suggestion that sounds like it would fit a circumstance like this. It's the ONLY way businesses change (or continue doing great stuff).

I recently went through the same thing, I have used Moultries for years, 6 of them without a single failure for going on year 4. I bought dad 2 Cuddeback Excite's last year and while not the most technically advanced individual he had problems with them since he's had them. I always assumed he was doing something wrong. After moving back to Iowa I took control of them and had nothing but problems, broken on/off switches on both, terrible battery life (some times 1.5 weeks), and questionable consistency.
I sent both of them back to Non-Typical and reluctantly took the 2 new ones for $200 but told them how unhappy I was, the lady didn't care. She included 1 free 1gb SD card, gee thanks!! I sent a message to there customer service 2 months ago, no word since...
I bought the "exteneded warranty" on the new ones and I'm betting they will fail for sure.....

I will add, I just checked them last week and picture quality is very nice!!

The picture quality on the cuddebacks is unreal....when you can get one that works. I purchased a Cuddeback Capture from Bass Pro this summer. Took it out, checked it a week later, and all of my pictures were blurry. Went back and exchanged it and got one that took good pictures. Now I love it.

My advice for those of you who are having problems with your cuddebacks; Try to deal with the problem through the distributor you purchased it off of if at all possible. It's a much faster way to get your problem solved then to go directly through non-typical.

My advice for those of you who are having problems with your cuddebacks; Try to deal with the problem through the distributor you purchased it off of if at all possible. It's a much faster way to get your problem solved then to go directly through non-typical.

That is very very good advice. I bought a Moultrie and ended up taking the camera back and exchanging it two different times in one year. The third trip back I just took store credit and bought a Badlands Monster Fanny Pack. That pack is worth 100x's its weight in gold.

IMO there are too many camera makers out there and as they get cheaper so do the parts, warranties, and customer service. A lot of people don't like Scheels but I have yet to be treated unkindly when trying to return or exchange something. Store credit is always good enough for me as I can always find something I need in that big box store.

Ask Nanny about scheel's return policy?

From what I understand they have stopped taking them back and have directed the customers to contact Non Typical at least that was the case here in the Des Moines store.

I agree when they work the take good pics-not nearly as good or fast as a home brew in my opinion!

I bought a new capture and was having issues also. It wasn't recording the pictures on the SD card. When I sent it in, they informed me that it had a damaged SD card slot and was going to cost me $85.00 to fix because it wasn't covered under warranty. I said it was broke from the start and had them send it back to me unfixed. I stared at a broken camera for a few months that was unusable so I sent it back and spent the extra money to have it fixed. When I got it back, it still didn't work. I was on the phone a few times with them and ended up sending it back again!! It was returned to me with a letter saying to use SD cards no larger than 2 GB, no HDSD's and to make sure my cards were formatted. Still wasn't working again!!! This time I talked to (Holly) and she got it figured out. I was formatting my cards in a slot on my printer, which is about 4 years old. Its the same printer that I format all my cards for my older Cuddebacks and Moultries. Ends up the old printer was formatting the cards in a way that new Capture, with newer software, wasn't reading them correctly. I went to Walmart and bought a $15.00 card reader for reading and formatting and solved my problem! Ten months and 4 Cuddeback technicians later and I'm in business! Who would have thought?

Christ...I have a $400 no flash to send back. Sounds like it will be quite the run around.

From what I understand they have stopped taking them back and have directed the customers to contact Non Typical at least that was the case here in the Des Moines store.

I agree when they work the take good pics-not nearly as good or fast as a home brew in my opinion!

Scheels will still take them back, but they have to be the new models. They will not take back the excites, or no flashes. They said they had to many of them coming back. You have to direct ship them to cuddeback, and after the phone conversations I've had with that company over the last 6 months, I'll never spend another dime on those cameras.

Christ...I have a $400 no flash to send back. Sounds like it will be quite the run around.

We have 3 of the no flashes to send off, and 1 of the flash camera's. It cost 85 bucks just for them to even look at the camera, so I'm lookin at 340 bucks, just so they can tell me that the camera aren't working.

I had the same problem with them. I baught moultries $100 cameras then fine tuned my setups because of the slow sensors and get just as good of pics and never a problem. Ill never waste my money with nontyp. again!

I guess it doesn't hurt that I still have buddies working at the local store and I didn't have to deal with the Cuddebacks. The information in this thread has turned me off of a Cuddeback for life.

Shit i thought i was ripped off

i bought a new capture and was having issues also. It wasn't recording the pictures on the sd card. When i sent it in, they informed me that it had a damaged sd card slot and was going to cost me $85.00 to fix because it wasn't covered under warranty. I said it was broke from the start and had them send it back to me unfixed. I stared at a broken camera for a few months that was unusable so i sent it back and spent the extra money to have it fixed. When i got it back, it still didn't work. I was on the phone a few times with them and ended up sending it back again!! It was returned to me with a letter saying to use sd cards no larger than 2 gb, no hdsd's and to make sure my cards were formatted. Still wasn't working again!!! This time i talked to (holly) and she got it figured out. I was formatting my cards in a slot on my printer, which is about 4 years old. Its the same printer that i format all my cards for my older cuddebacks and moultries. Ends up the old printer was formatting the cards in a way that new capture, with newer software, wasn't reading them correctly. I went to walmart and bought a $15.00 card reader for reading and formatting and solved my problem! Ten months and 4 cuddeback technicians later and i'm in business! Who would have thought?
wow what a farce!!!!!!!!!!!!

Top Bottom