Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Nonresident Deer Hunting application

B

Blind Sow

The PROPOSED new nonresident deer hunting application procedure was approved at the December 7, 2000 DNR Commissioner meeting.

Any interested person may make written suggestions or comments on the proposed amendments on or before January 17, 2001. Such written materials should be directed to the Wildlife Bureau Chief, DNR, Wallace State Office Building, Des Moines, IA 50319-0034; fax (515)281-6794.

There will be a public hearing on January 17, 2001 at 10 a.m. in the Fourth Floor Conference Room of the Wallace State Office Building at which time persons may present their views either orally or in writing. At the hearing, persons will be asked to give their names and addresses for the record and to confine their remarks to the subject of the amendments.

The proposed new application procedure is as follows:

"Applications for nonresident deer hunting
licenses must be made through THE ELECTRONIC LICENSING SYSTEM for IOWA (ELSI) telephone order system. Applications will be accepted from the first Saturday in May through the last Sunday in May. No one may submit more than one application during the application period. If applications have been sold in excess of the license quota for any zone or hunting period, a drawing will be held to determine which applicants receive licenses. Licenses or refunds of license fees will be mailed to applicants after the drawing is completed. License agent writing fees, department administrative fees and telephone order charges will not be refunded. If any license quota has not been filled, the excess licenses will be sold first-come, first-served through the telephone ordering system beginning the third Saturday after the close of the application period until the quota has been filled or the last day of the hunting period for which the license is valid, whichever comes first. No one may obtain more than one nonresident deer hunting license. Hunters may apply as individuals or as a group of up to fifteen applicants. All members of a group will be accepted or rejected together in the drawing. Members of a group that is rejected may purchase licenses individually if excess licenses are available.

a. PREFERENCE POINTS
Each individual applicant that is unsuccessful in the drawing will be assigned one preference point for each consecutive year that they apply and are unsuccessful. Preference points will not accrue in a year in which an applicant fails to apply, but the applicant will retain any preference points previously earned. Once an applicant receives a license, all preference points will be removed until they are again unsuccessful in a drawing. Preference points will apply to any zone or hunting period for which a hunter applies.
The first license drawing each year will be made from the pool of applicants with the most preference points. If licenses are still available after the first drawing, subsequent drawings will be made from pools of applicants with sucessively fewer preference points and continue until the license quota is reached or all applicants have received licenses. Members of a group application will be drawn from a pool with the fewest preference points assigned to any member of the group.

Doug Clayton
State Conservation Officer

Doug,

Thanks for sharing this information to our non-resident friends!

deericon.jpg

Iowa Whitetail

doug, thanks for the nr info. is there still talk about losing the 35% cap on nr bowtags? nrrick

I hope you don't mind if I interupt...

Here is a link to the IBA Legislative page IBA and I to am interested in where we stand. I am concerned about the low number of whitetail spottings in Western Iowa. We have harvested a 100,000 deer a year for the past 3 years and the year 2000 could be very well the same.

Currently I am in interested in the IBA's position on many issues.

I went off the IBA board in Aug 1999 (afer 9 years) so I don't know what the IBA's current stance is concerning the 35%. You should contact the IBA officers (look the IBA's website) and ask their view.

Doug

My personal opinion on the 35% (don't know if it is the IBA's opinion) is that the 35% cap should be removed. If a tag is going to go to a nonresident I'd rather see it in the hands of a bowhunter than a shotgun hunter.

My simple reasoning is as follows. Granted a few more nonresident bowhunters will shoot big buck, if they do I'll be the first to shake their hand. However, overall the success rate is lower for bowhunting than for any other weapon. Thus fewer bucks end up being harvested and we manage to conserve a little more of a valuable resource.

Personally, after having numerous groups of resident shotgun hunters trespassing on land which they do not have permission to hunt. We might be better off putting more tags in nonresident's hands, maybe they're a bit more responsible?

BlindSow, Does this mean if we applied in 2000 and didn't draw,we have a point,or does that start in the 2001 draw.Thank You for all you do on this sight as it does help very much.

I am also interested when the preference points system will begin. I am also curious when these proposed changes will be approved or rejected. I personally like the preference system I can at least count on on tag every other year and since I am an Iowa land owner that is alot better than the possiblility of being unlucky in the drawing and not being able to hunt my own property for 3 or 4 years in a row.

Yes, if you were not successful in getting a NR 2000 tag you should have one preference point going into this year's (2001) drawing.

Doug Clayton

More than likely changes will go through. The only real change is the application process (obtaining a license through ELSI--electronic license) vs the old paper/mail-in application. The preference point system is in place.

Doug Clayton

Blind sow, I imagine if you were to draw an anterless tag you would not get a preference point. I have always stated on the application I would accept an anterless tag if not chosen for a buck tag simply because being in the Iowa woods in November is the incredible. However, if I would not gain a preference by taking a doe tag there is no way I would ever accept one again. I would think many other N/R's would do the same. I will do my part for QDM but not if it costs me a chance at a buck tag the next year.

I have also heard they have talked about N/R landowners such as myself being guaranteed anterless tags if not drawing a buck tag. Again I would hope this would not affect your ability to gain a preference point.

[This message has been edited by wibohnt (edited 01-12-2001).]

I checked with Terry Little, head wildlife biologist in Des Moines, and he verified what I thought---if you accept ANY type of NR deer license, either sex or antlerless only, that will nullify any preference points you have accumulated. So if you want your points to add up DO NOT check the box saying you will accept an antlerless license.

As far as NR landowners getting antlerless tags nothing had happened as of yet. Our legislature just convened this week so the whole process is just starting up.

Doug Clayton

It might be noted that the 1500 poor saps that accepted antlerless tags in 2000, unknowingly put themseleves out of the running for a 2001 buck tag. I've heard that many of them are understandably upset, because the were not forewarned of the preference points until after the drawing.
I suspect that there will be few applicants for NR antlerless tags in the future, once they find out that by accepting one (every year) they will never get a buck tag.
At the start, it appeared that offering antlerless tags would give NR landowners the
option of still being able to hunt and at least harvest some meat. (after all who else but NR landowners would pay $150 to come to Iowa and shoot a doe?)
As it stands now that option is all but eliminated. The IBA supported a bill that would have allowed NR landowners to purchase an antleress tag, if they did not draw in the regular drawing, but the IDNR didn't follow thru and attempt to get the bill passed.
As Officer Clayton has noted, the new legislative session may bring new action.
The IDNR has a web page to keep everyone apprised of upcoming legislative activity, but as of yet, it is not up and running.

[This message has been edited by PLK (edited 01-12-2001).]

[This message has been edited by PLK (edited 01-12-2001).]

I as a non-resident looking in have been bowhunting in Iowa foor the last 6 years that is if I get drawn which I have not for the last two years. The resident of Iowa better hope that non-resident land owners do not ever get automatic deer tags. My reasoning is this just look at places like Pike county Ill. and almost all of North West Mo. If you don,t have your own ground or if you don,t pay a outrageous lease you will not have a place to hunt. This is not a maybe this is for sure. I urge all the resident hunters of Iowa to keep their Legislation on top of this. You already have wealthy resident buying all they can get their hands on and then charging redicelous prices to hunt. (Also do away with PARTY HUNTING)that iis as bad as Mo usinng rifles and hunting durinng the rut.

Blind Sow,
Good of you to keep us NRs updated!
My questions may have already been addressed, if so please forgive me. Have any #s been, posted, for the 2000 drawing as to how many NR were not drawn, (by hunting zone)? Has there been any movement on the # of NR (Buck) licenses that will be available? Has there ever been a brake down by season ie. 1st. shotgun season requests vs. 2nd. shotgun season requests?

MANY THANKS

HBH

HBH

I believe the figures you are requesting are on the NR application, or at least, they have been in the past. If they aren't call the DNR (515) 281-8688 and ask for the license bureau. They should be able to access those numbers for you.

There will be no change in the number of NR tags for 2001. The legislature just convened a little while ago and if a change was to be made it wouldn't go into effect until the following year. There has been some talk of raising it to 10K but that's all--talk.

Doug Clayton

Blind Sow,

Thanks for the info. I have read, the #s for the past years on the application sheets. I'll check and see if they are available at this time with the DNR for the 2000 season. I sure enjoy Iowa, just to see a good buck, I don't have to kill one to make it worthwhile. Although many NRs would like to hunt Iowa every year, myself aswell I would be concerned with much more pressure. Party hunting, in my view is both good and bad, yes it helps control deer #s but, I have seen too many Iowa residents shooting at does and 1 1/2 old bucks just for "target practice" their words not mine. And I know many of those shot dont even get brought out of the woods. I cant hunt this way, but it is traditional for many Iowa residents. And I dont see that changing. It has been my great fortune to have hunted Iowa for 4 years. I understand why some residents dont want more NR hunters. I do think if Iowa is to remain a state where you can have a chance to see a 4 1/2 yr. old buck, change is going to have to take place, and those changes are going to have to start with the residents. Most of us dont realize the value of something untill it is gone.

MANY THANKS

HBH

I would like to give my "opinion" on the NR deer hunters wanting to have more tags available. I went to colorado two years ago before their big price increase(from 250 to $450). Now for me to go on an elk hunt out west it will cost me a small fotune. Plus your not garanteed even to get a tag. Everywhere else in the country has similar situations for a chance at a trophy of a given species. Why should we be any different. Everyone knows about the quality of deer in Iowa and the midwest and people would be flocking here like snow geese if tags were not limited. I hope I nver see the day when I have to pay money for the right to be able to hunt the property I have been hunting for years. But it could happen if to many NR hunters with big money come in and buy off the farmers. It is already happening now. A friend of mine had it happen to him. I'm not against allowing NR hunters to hunt in Iowa. I just agree with the limits we have now. If you get a chance to hunt big whitetails in Iowa enjoy it to the fullest ,just like I will if I ever make it out west again to hunt elk.

Top Bottom