Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Now that necked cartridges are lawful (min .35 - max .5) what will everyone be hunting with this year?

So you are the equivalent of someone who leaves California because it sucks and then tries to make the next place they go the next California because it "progress". Got it.

You can have the quality deer herd without arbitrary caliber restrictions. That’s what we all want!

You can have the quality deer herd without arbitrary caliber restrictions. That’s what we all want!
The fact is when you increase hunter effectiveness you will have to reduce hunter opportunity if you want to maintain the herd quantity/quality status quo. You have said as much yourself. You may be alright with that. I'm not. Plus it is most likely that the legislature will do nothing to protect the herd. They'll gladly make it easier for you to kill more deer.

No one NEEDS a center fire to kill a deer in Iowa and it sure isn't a 2A issue.

As a rural resident surrounded by pieces that get party hunted by deer drives you can bet I'll be all over my farm bureu loving rep the next time rifles come up and I'll have most my non hunting neighbors on him too. There surely is a safety aspect to this.

It's funny. I know many life long Iowa hunters over 50 who have never once wished to be able to hunt deer in Iowa with a center fire. A couple took their elk/mule deer rifles to the southern antlerless/shed buck season of the past for the novelty and freezer filling. said it was just to easy.

Arec

How is the quality/age structure of the deer herd where you came from and where you could use that 30-30? Just curious. Maybe you should be returning there so you can use that gun that is so special to you. Hate seeing it go to waste. Also in reading your responses I notice the words I and Me seem to repeat themselves a lot. Makes your statements sound pretty selfish. Sure am glad yo were able to move here and purchase that piece of heaven to enjoy the quality of hunting the people before us fought to so hard to achieve. Enjoy it while you can, before long people like you will have ruined it with all the I WANT and I SHOULD BE ABLE too's. Selfishness and greed will destroy many things.

The fact is when you increase hunter effectiveness you will have to reduce hunter opportunity if you want to maintain the herd quantity/quality status quo. You have said as much yourself. You may be alright with that. I'm not. Plus it is most likely that the legislature will do nothing to protect the herd. They'll gladly make it easier for you to kill more deer.

No one NEEDS a center fire to kill a deer in Iowa and it sure isn't a 2A issue.

As a rural resident surrounded by pieces that get party hunted by deer drives you can bet I'll be all over my farm bureu loving rep the next time rifles come up and I'll have most my non hunting neighbors on him too. There surely is a safety aspect to this.

It's funny. I know many life long Iowa hunters over 50 who have never once wished to be able to hunt deer in Iowa with a center fire. A couple took their elk/mule deer rifles to the southern antlerless/shed buck season of the past for the novelty and freezer filling. said it was just to easy.

What happens when another hundred thousand hunters join our ranks over the next few decades? What happens to Hunter opportunity then? You’re counting on method of take to achieve a balanced herd in both quality and quantity instead of just doing it directly with tag management.

I have no problem with having different tag availability for different sessions based on effectiveness and fill / success rates. That negates the rifle ‘effectiveness’ argument completely.

Rifles have no place in Iowa for deer, it’s too bad they even allowed straight walls…it should be a shotgun only season.

We are fighting that in Minnesota right now. The rifle guys want rifles statewide, no restrictions. Unbelievable !!

Southern Mn is a mix if mostly agricultural land with a mix of woods, groves, rivers, creeks, CRP etc… limited survival due to lack of cover. Lucky to get a 3 year old deer!

Minnesota is already a poor management state due to the timing of the gun season. November 5,6,7,8 (it opens for 9 days).

Most of the bucks I have on my trail cameras on my Minnesota properties end up dead (I get the texts from neighbors)… small, medium, an occasional nice buck. Odds of buck survival are low. The orange army is very efficient at killing most of the bucks—vulnerable during the rut.

Now the rifle guys want to make it worse by eliminating the shotgun zone in Southern MN …we have so far blocked that nonsense. I hope they don’t get their way. Sad state of affairs.

disagree and disagree.

Iowa is the best state with middle of the road to poor habitat.... why? Lot of reasons, rifles being one of them.

And NO this is not what we ALL want. Mostly just you on this board, actually.

I don’t understand … is the removal of arbitrary caliber restrictions an imminent threat to all things deer hunting in Iowa? Or is it a deeply unpopular change that very few hunters want?

I am having a hard time reconciling these two positions… since, by definition, if very few hunters are interested in hunting with a center fire rifle, the impact of deregulation would be negligible.

Or is it possible that you are understating the enthusiasm toward these changes? Hmm.

Arec do you own hunting land? Have kids and or family that hunt? Do you hunt in wooded timber or the more open areas of the state? Just trying to understand where your coming from on your ideas?

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

I’m from the younger generation here and even I can see how rifles would destroy Iowa.

Take Story county where I live for example flat ground almost all ag fields. 1 mile by 1 mile sections. All rifles legalized. You could literally just drive down the roads and pick the deer you wanted in the fields. The hunt would consist of stepping out of the truck loading, taking the rifle across the ditch and harvesting the deer. Literally no hunt at all. Easy pickings. Tell me how that’s not going to destroy Iowa’s herd.

You are also implying age structure and herd quality doesn’t matter. This is 100% wrong in all aspects of wildlife management. From disease immunity to reproduction.

But my dad and grandpa used to use a 30-30. Guess what? Missouri is a short drive away, so is Nebraska, Wisconsin, etc. Guess what my ancestors used to kill elk and bears in Iowa, why can’t I? Can we just establish a bear season so I can hunt them, they are here. Who cares about the quality of the population I just want to shoot them because my ancestors used to.

Skip’s turkey season is completely comparable. You can hunt turkeys with rifles in Wyoming why can’t we use them here?

You and the IFC are the worst kind of people in this world you play with peoples emotions to line your pockets with money with no respect for the people it affects. You might want to become best friends with Biden as you seem to have a lot in common.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Also good thing I can hunt with a 50 BMG now. Cant wait to not have to be able to take the meat from the deer since it’s destroyed. Glad I can just cut the head of the mangled mess and feed the coyotes with the rest.

Oh you might also be thinking that kid doesn’t have a 50 BMG. Guess what buddy you’re wrong. Purple canoes because why not, deer aren’t going to see me
6fcb00c1d86fafc550d1070fb2f3ca53.jpg

Now I know you’re a huge rifle advocate so I’ll allow you the time to go wipe the drool of your face and clean the jizz from your pants before you respond because I know it happened.

^^^^^Well done CWTR!!!! Great points!!!!

Blast from the past!!!! This is how “in-tune” I am with our rifle thumping buddies!!! :). Here is a harvest photo of YOURS TRULY with “grandpas ‘ol .30-.30” on a very dangerous hunt on a cow with rabies, fangs and long talons!!! Posted this glorious hunt here years ago & been touring with the full size mount at taxidermy shows since! :cool::p

1B3C500E-23D3-4A5F-914E-341F136F01B7.jpeg

& how well I know the pure excitement of rifles…. When I was a young whipper-snapper, just getting out of high school I got a .300 RUM….. buddies asked me to join on a hunt in rifle state. I shot the biggest buck taken in their history hunting there. It blew intestines out 15’+. We put a mini football through the wound. It was entertaining. & not for me…. Sold my rifle the next year & have not shot one with it since. It was a fun day being honest…. Typical fun day for a 18 year old. I’m not nocking my buddies that still do it- not at all…. They choose to do it there & they do realize their hunting will never be very good. They accepted it. Maybe fits a bit better in their very different state. Doesn’t mean we must accept or adopt it here though. This was me as I walked up to my deer & my jaw dropped…. Had to pop out that camera in my pack…
2BA40457-8DD0-4E31-96F7-459C5E3E3CD4.jpeg

What happens when another hundred thousand hunters join our ranks over the next few decades? What happens to Hunter opportunity then? You’re counting on method of take to achieve a balanced herd in both quality and quantity instead of just doing it directly with tag management.

I have no problem with having different tag availability for different sessions based on effectiveness and fill / success rates. That negates the rifle ‘effectiveness’ argument completely.
Another 100K hunters in Iowa? Not going to happen. IF it did it would be a big problem and opportunity would have to be restricted rifles or no. I surely wouldn't want that many hunters running around with center fires.

It negates nothing. Dead deer are dead deer no matter what season they are killed in. Kill enough and you want to stop it you have to cut tags/opportunity, especially in the gun seasons when most people hunt.

I would like to know why the hell you moved here if rifle hunting is that big a deal to you but don't bother. You are obviously wed to your ideas. This is a waste of time.

To me, hunting is just as much about tradition and family as it is about filling the freezer or getting a monster buck. Who doesn’t want to take our kids hunting with the same rifle we learned to hunt with, and that our fathers learned to hunt with, and perhaps even their fathers before them?

Not one person has been able to come up with a compelling reason that the .30-30 should be restricted in Iowa.

For the record, I have zero problem with a Hunter who wants to use a 300 win mag, either. A deer killed with a magnum rifle is just as dead as a deer killed with a heirloom lever action rifle and just as dead as one killed with a compound bow and just as dead as one killed with a recurve bow.

Relying on method of take to control annual harvest totals is inefficient and needlessly restrictive. Want to control how many deer are harvested? Limit the number of tags in any given season. Simple, easy, fair and effective.
If you have no problem allowing the 300 win mag, then how come you keep using the 30-30 for your argument? It's because when you say 30-30, it's just a little more gun than we have today, so what's the harm? Just like the slick gun lobbyists.

Why do we have to fix something that's not broken? If you want to use your rifle, go back and hunt whatever state you came from as a non- resident. You should be able to get a tag there. Iowa is the only state that you can't get a non-resident tag over the counter (that I'm aware of). Why is that - because it's much better hunting than most other states? Why's that? Because of it's regulations.

Sent from my SM-G973U1 using Tapatalk

The chances that we have 100,000 more hunters in one state is slim to none. The trend in many states is less hunters. More young kids are taking up archery and that is a real positive. A few less hunters and more die hard bow hunters will be good for the quality of the hunt.

I don't want to come across as anti-gun hunter. I hunt with a shotgun in a few states, but most of the deer harvested are by gun. Matter of fact in MN, 70% of the total deer harvest for the year ..... are shot in 4 days during the gun season. Gun seasons are either too long or at poor timing (the rut) in some states and therefore the quality of the hunt is diminished.

I mean, simple math proves that rifles would be hugely detrimental to Iowa's deer heard. A shotgun slug has an effective range of ~75 yards, the rifles now allowed have ~200 yards. Use pi*r^2, and a shotgun hunter covers roughly 17,663 square yards. A rifle hunter could cover 125,600 square yards. THAT'S OVER 7 TIMES THE AREA!!! (Also shows why you should almost always order the large pizza)

A ton of deer will get killed that could've made it another year. This will slowly, but surely, degrade the age and structure of the deer heard. Add in limited cover, deer drives, and human nature; and we've got a bad situation.

I'm as libertarian as you can get, but the North American Conservation Model is arguably the most successful government program ever implemented. Choosing to limit methods of take is not infringing on anybody's rights, it is about protecting and conserving the wildlife that belongs to the citizens.

Keep Iowa Great!

Good point...a well positioned hunter with a long range rifle could cover an open crop/CRP/creek bottom farm of 40 acres just himself with the right rifle.

I am not an Iowa native. But now that I am a resident I am doing what I can to help make the state a little better for future generations.
HAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHHA good one.

I have a 2.5 year old and 6 month old and people like you make me sick because I know my kids aren't going to have the deer hunting opportunities that I have had. How do you not realize you're the only one (or a handful) on this site that thinks the way you do? All the whiny ones get their way nowadays and you fit that bill.

Last edited:
Top Bottom