Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Oak logs

Missouri publishes a standing timber report, but its always a couple months behind. It's not "real time" like other commodities, but better than nothing I guess.

Rather than sell red oak for next to nothing, I would recommend looking into having it milled. It you can find a local guy to work with you on milling it, the wood itself sold as flooring or wall siding is still in demand (maybe not top dollar) but it is an option. We had a amish guy cut red oak flooring for our lake home and it is very nice stuff, saved a bunch of money overall.

^ or just start making crane mats. We just paid $700 a piece for 4'x20' mats. That's 4 butt logs. Little bit of mill time and $100 in hardware. Nice little business if you can get the trees for so cheap.

A couple pics of the logs cut to flooring, and then the finished product in our house
Flooring-1.jpg
Flooring-2.jpg
[ATTACH=full

Last edited:
Rather than sell red oak for next to nothing, I would recommend looking into having it milled. It you can find a local guy to work with you on milling it, the wood itself sold as flooring or wall siding is still in demand (maybe not top dollar) but it is an option. We had a amish guy cut red oak flooring for our lake home and it is very nice stuff, saved a bunch of money overall.

Those floors look very, very nice. What did you do in terms of drying/seasoning for the red oak?

The above link to the Nebraska timber data is basing its prices on lumber after milling,planing and in some case steaming, This while interesting has very little to do with the prices of logs for sale and less to do with standing timber.
Somewhat confusing process and I am not sure that isn't intended.

The above link to the Nebraska timber data is basing its prices on lumber after milling,planing and in some case steaming, This while interesting has very little to do with the prices of logs for sale and less to do with standing timber.
Somewhat confusing process and I am not sure that isn't intended.

I'm pretty green when it comes to the timber game and still learning. The district forester I talked with said the timber buyers in SW Iowa use the Nebraska Timber Talk quarterly newsletter as a a guide to know what the market looks like when making their bids, guess I should've mentioned that when I posted the link.

We have received the bids on our trees and I thought it might be interesting to some to see what the results were. We sold a total of 469 trees with board feet estimated on the stump by the forester we used.
White oak: 378 ---- 66,755 board feet
Burr oak: 4 ---- 450 bd ft
Red oak 8 ---- 1415 bd ft
Hickory 3 ---- 680 bd ft
Cherry 1 ----- 125 bd ft
Walnut 75 ---- 10150 bd ft
We had 4 or 5 bids ranging from 39k to 65k
Most of the oak were in the 18" to 26" did
Most walnut 17" to 23"
Logging will start this week weather permitting.

We have received the bids on our trees and I thought it might be interesting to some to see what the results were. We sold a total of 469 trees with board feet estimated on the stump by the forester we used.
Hickory 3 ---- 680 bd ft
Cherry 1 ----- 125 bd ft
Most walnut 17" to 23"

39k to 65k is a big range. That just shows the value of getting multiple bids. Congrats.

Thank you for posting the results of your sale. Looks like you did well, keep
Posting throughout the rest of the project.

Hickory 3 ---- 680 bd ft
Cherry 1 ----- 125 bd ft
Most walnut 17" to 23"

How did your harvest go? Any pics? Create a lot of new growth?

The only tree I've personally seen with volititity is SILVER MAPLE. Roughly recalling lows of .20 cents a board foot and man, I think it got to maybe .75-.90 cents a board foot (something high - just a guess). Big fluctuations. Mainly due to demand from furniture makers like "lazy boy chairs" using in their chairs.
I'd still baby reds and let them grow (yes, more will die out and hollow vs whites due to much shorter life span & faster growth) - market probably get "decent" and as long as pulling them before hollow- could have a decent sale.
Interesting, I have a bunch of big silver maple...
I am going to have a buddy come in and cut all my pallet junk lumber, pending weather. He text me this morning talking about how tough the weather has been on him. Wet fall and then 18" of snow is going to make it pretty tough to get on my place anytime soon without rutting the heck out of things, which will surely decide if it gets cut this year. my goal is pretty much going to be whats in skips TSI video

If the majority of your sale is Soft Maple you have about 30-45 days to get it cut. Absolutely needs to be cut before the sap returns and sold and moved pretty quick. Very tough year for sure for the guys in the woods.

Anyone have any updates on oak, walnut prices??

Walnut prices are solid right now. Red oak has bottomed out completely right now due the tariff situation. Until we get some movement on the trade deal, it would be inadvisable to sell any standing red oak. White oak is doing better than red oak because of rail road ties.

I found this today while looking for any new hunting legislation. I had no idea timber buyers or transporters were regulated. I had heard a story that since the price of scrap metal has dropped, particularly copper, that the meth heads are poaching walnut and other trees, taking them to saw mills and getting cash. I don't know if this bill is a result of that or what but since some of you have timbered ground I thought I'd pass it along.

https://www.legis.iowa.gov/legislation/BillBook?ba=SSB3107&ga=88

Top Bottom