Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Oak logs

“White oak is strong”. I’ve been meaning to get an update on White oak market. I’ve got some areas I need to “thin” - Still a lot of logs. I’ll only do white oak conservatively and only do it when it’s very strong market. Just cause those trees grow so old and slow and can sit there. Got some ripe ones I wanna move though. If anyone hears more on oak market- fire back here

Red Oak has probably bottomed out at this point but is still pretty low compared to where it's at historically. White Oak has been strong because of increased demand from the railroad industry for ties. Until we get some tariff relief, hardwoods will probably remain soft price wise but anything related to shipping/manufacturing (pallets, railroad ties, etc) has been steady.

You would think with building costs up, and new home construction strong, that oak would be in demand. There must not be as much demand for oak in flooring, millwork etc...as there used to be.

You would think with building costs up, and new home construction strong, that oak would be in demand. There must not be as much demand for oak in flooring, millwork etc...as there used to be.

Housing starts are indeed up, but most of that lumber is softwoods from out west or from Canada, so there is a bit of a demand lag on the hardwoods. I don't have hard data to back this part up- but I know enough that more likely than not there's a lot of mills sitting on dried inventory that they're waiting to bring to market. Probably going to be 6 or more months before we see prices start to move with housing trends (and hopefully the tariff situation sorted out.)

Does anyone know what the timber market is like right now? I'm assuming it's up like everything else. I've got some that could be cut.

Walnut & white oak is strong as usual. Pallet wood is strong. I didn’t get any exact pricing but feedback & activity is strong market. I did ask a forester who was involved with some sales what red oak was like... I’ve never seen it strong in 20 years now.... no update or big demand it didn’t sound like.
Mark carefully & GET BIDS. I would double check with local forester on what they’ve seen for market prices. All feedback & indications- sounds positive & strong. Hopefully some others can chime in as well.

Recently sold some lower quality walnut and pricing was very good. Very selective about it (trees that were never going to amount to anything mostly).

I’ve heard Walnut is still very good. You would think the building material/lumber market would translate to higher prices for timber? But I don’t know if that’s the case?

I’ve heard Walnut is still very good. You would think the building material/lumber market would translate to higher prices for timber? But I don’t know if that’s the case?
All my walnut will end up in China, so there is not a direct correlation. Global markets are up though.

Walnut is always a unique market. So- u both are correct. Walnut is often uniquely sent to China. With some white oak. *side note for fun.... some of it sunk to bottom of ocean for the pressure which I believe impacts the color/grain & pattern of it on veneer quality walnut.
Iowa & a few belts in MO, IL & southern MN/WI grow the best walnut on earth!

for building market: lots of oak, cherry, hickory, etc etc. that’s for floors, cabinets, trim or other things inside houses. then u have soft maple for furniture. Junk for pallets of course. List of wood/species & uses for Midwest timber being used in building industry is solid & vast.
The one item iowa lacks is stuff like plywood mills .... that stuff doubled in price & as some of us sit on forested farms - I don’t think there’s much option except to buy it - sucks!!
some folks on here have had timber dried & milled or milled themselves & done awesome things. I wish I had that talent!!!

*side note for fun.... some of it sunk to bottom of ocean for the pressure which I believe impacts the color/grain & pattern of it on veneer quality walnut.
yup.... use to do alot of wood working and submerging Walnut does several things. Namely it makes all the sap wood look like heart wood. Back in high school we made deer plaques to sell. Those slabs were cross cut and put in a trash can full of water for several months before starting the drying process. They come out pretty sweet.

Ok, thanks. I talked to a local forester yesterday sounds like prices are strong on walnut and white oak, although not a huge jump from the last couple years. I think I'm going to have someone come put and evaluate what I got. I can pick out a Walnut but beyond that, I dont know how to grade and measure. She also said I should have the walnuts cut as part of a different sale than the rest.
Sounds like walnuts should be cut by the end of March? Can they be dropped and picked up once it drys out a few weeks later? I'm guessing it won't be easy to get them out until it drys out.

Cut the trees worth having along my ditch on the new CRP farm. First 3 loads totaled up about $8,560
.28 bf on cottonwood
.32 bf is n the other pallet lumber (hackberry. Pinoak, locust, hickory etc)
Several logs made 300+ bf
Should have 5-6 more loads yet. This farm is 85+% crp so any timber $ i get is a bonus.
The log on the loader forks is 54’ long
b28a04006ead0730350230a41591f5da.jpg

8a133af6467c6dbf24ad104d399cd85d.jpg

07a04577e694c15bb705194f7ffbbe8c.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ching Ching!

Getting good prices on pallet wood is highly dependent on property proximity to a mill that can process them. Due to the lower value of the wood itself, trucking can eat into your $$$ quickly.

great job!

Top Bottom