Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Oak tree identification

JUNIOR

Can anyone give me their best guess on what type of oak each of these leaves came from? I realize I should have taken pictures of the bark and acorns for better analysis but, hoping this picture will do. South central Iowa, all three trees are around the same height (20ft) and are all within 30 yards of each. Small openish field on a creek bottom. Volunteer trees.

My guess:

Left: ??? Red oak ???

Top: Black Oak

Right: Bur Oak

Thanks!!

0dc8b35d99bda5e886945da0379d5c38.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My unofficial thoughts...

Red oaks have pointy leaves, like the arrow heads from the red man's bows. White oaks have rounded, or dull, points, like white man's bullets. (Ssshhh...please don't tell on me, this little ditty ^^ would probably send the PC police into a tizzy these days. :) :) )

Black oaks are in the red oak family and a swamp oak is in the white oak family, of that I am certain. With that said, I think you are close, if not right on. My thoughts...

Top = I agree, likely a black oak. A little shinier surface than a conventional red oak.

Bottom left = I agree, likely a red oak. A little duller surface than a black oak.

Bottom right = probable swamp oak, or something pretty close to it.

To be really sure...I would need to see some acorns and/or bark structure...but even then I don't know what I am talking about. :)

Bottom right appears to be a bur oak, but could be a swamp white. Sometimes the lower leaves look a lot different than mature upper leaves, but the deep lobes scream "bur." Other two are either red or black imo.

• Deleted by Ishi
Show…
Top Bottom