Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

October cold front

Have checked a few cams. Most pictures I have are all at night right now. And the mosquitos darn near run me out of there. I'll wait till the latter part of October bout Oct 25th, Sounds about right to me. Hopefully mosquitos are froze by then. Lol.

When I was in high School, I used to hunt every day of bow season(Burning out stands all over before prime time) Oct 1st- until I tagged out. Now that I'm a busier fella, I've become wise into only hunting the right scenario s at the right time. Right or Wrong, My success rate has gone up since I'm hunting smarter. Instead of forcing it.

Two days ago this rain event was hit or miss, maybe a tenth to a quarter inch and not everyone gets wet. Now it's a half to 2 inches and all of eastern Iowa gets it. WTF!! And it's going to WARM UP after the rain. Things always average out, always. Keep your longjohns handy for the snowy rut hunts!!

Looks like cold front coming here in MO next weekend. Going from 90 degrees this weekend to lows down into the 40s.. :oops:

I wonder how many kids in the last three weeks if asked to go hunting but they said na its to hot??

When I asked my son if he wanted to go, he said no it’s to warm to hunt, we can go after it cools down later in the year!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I would guess many of you have seen this article: Cold Fronts

I understand what the author is trying to say, basically that you aren't going to kill them from the couch. I will still watch for a front rolling in and hope that shifting barometric pressure causes deer to alter their movements a touch.

On a parallel plane, I've seen some people try to chart when a forum of bowhunters killed their bucks in an attempt to establish the "best day" to be on stand. Well, here I truly believe that most of the people plan to take time off around the rut, so that pretty much skews the data from the start.

On a parallel plane, I've seen some people try to chart when a forum of bowhunters killed their bucks in an attempt to establish the "best day" to be on stand. Well, here I truly believe that most of the people plan to take time off around the rut, so that pretty much skews the data from the start.
I've often thought about this as it pertains to veterans day which sometimes shows a higher kill rate. I think a lot of hunters have that day off from work or take that day off (adding to the # of hunters in the field that particular day). This compiled with for most, their rut vacation is almost over (so their standards are lowered on the 11th compared to the 1st) which equals skewed report.

I would guess many of you have seen this article: Cold Fronts

I understand what the author is trying to say, basically that you aren't going to kill them from the couch. I will still watch for a front rolling in and hope that shifting barometric pressure causes deer to alter their movements a touch.

I have said that year after year….while I think the odds are higher from pre-rut on…..the numbers are skewed because 80%+ of hunters aren’t in the woods before then…

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Monday is looking like it might be pretty good. 15 degree drop and precip during the day. Hopefully the forecast holds. Maybe, just maybe, I'll get a sit in.

Target-shooting, gear inventory, out for turkeys come Monday. I’ll start to bow hunt when it’s cold. Last year it snowed 4 times in Oct in central IA - like the opposite of this year!

Finally is cooling off here in nw mn.
Been just too warm here.
Now it's raining buckets and will limit where I can hunt.
Feast/Famine.

Top Bottom