Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

% of old bucks that make BC....

This has been an interesting discussion to read. I would say the number would be around 10%. After reading all the replies I have to wonder with the percentages people have stated are you better off owning multiple smaller properties or one large property? Pros and Cons to each but if your goal was to shoot 160+ deer you may have more tickets with multiple smaller acreages vs one large one and be subjected to whatever hand you're dealt that year. Does anyone have opinions on this with regards to what's considered a small acreage vs large and better odds. I don't mean to hijack the thread just a question that came to me reading through the responses.

This has been an interesting discussion to read. I would say the number would be around 10%. After reading all the replies I have to wonder with the percentages people have stated are you better off owning multiple smaller properties or one large property? Pros and Cons to each but if your goal was to shoot 160+ deer you may have more tickets with multiple smaller acreages vs one large one and be subjected to whatever hand you're dealt that year. Does anyone have opinions on this with regards to what's considered a small acreage vs large and better odds. I don't mean to hijack the thread just a question that came to me reading through the responses.
I feel like owning one large tract probably gives you more of a chance as you have more control of harvest/management etc., especially when its 750 acres or so. Understanding there are variables like EHD or you may lose them at times to neighbors, but typically we always have at least a couple at 150+.

I feel like owning one large tract probably gives you more of a chance as you have more control of harvest/management etc., especially when its 750 acres or so. Understanding there are variables like EHD or you may lose them at times to neighbors, but typically we always have at least a couple at 150+.
Yep. Easier to keep deer on a large tract of land you have control over than it is small tracts of land that deer wonder in and out of. That being said, I'm a sucker for hunting small tracts of land and harvesting roaming mature bucks during the rut. It's kind of like pulling a large fish out of a small pond while kids are swimming and making a ruckus just a few feet away.

Yep. Easier to keep deer on a large tract of land you have control over than it is small tracts of land that deer wonder in and out of. That being said, I'm a sucker for hunting small tracts of land and harvesting roaming mature bucks during the rut. It's kind of like pulling a large fish out of a small pond while kids are swimming and making a ruckus just a few feet away.
Gigantic variables of multiple smaller prices vs. Larger track. Perfect world... multiple large tracks.... but not reality for 99.9999%. Personally I fall into the multiple smaller track category. I go back and forth on what I perceive as better. Ehd is a major consideration for me.... one big farm could be wiped out and set back 3+ years. Multiple smaller farms managed right less likly but then you deal with other considerations like neighbors not having same goals... bottom line.. I'm not convinced either way

I finally did some figuring on the results of 88 sets of teeth that were sent in to be aged in the last four years. About 10 of them I never seen in person only pics.
Here’s the results

5 deer were 8.5 yrs or older and none were over 150 gross

9 deer were 7.5 yrs old with 4 over 170 with the largest 220 gross

11 deer were 6.5 yrs old with 6 over 170 gross

27 bucks were 5.5 yrs old and 11 grossed over 170 with 2 over 200 gross

23 bucks were 4.5 yrs and 1 grossed over 170.

These results are from many parts of Iowa and on a much bigger scale then a farm situation. Plus this data is only from the hunters that want their deer aged. Some deer I almost beg the hunter to get them aged but they have no interest and I get that.

That’s impressive and helpful data [mention]Ishi [/mention] Where did you get 88 teeth? Taxidermist? Also, where do you send them?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That’s impressive and helpful data [mention]Ishi [/mention] Where did you get 88 teeth? Taxidermist? Also, where do you send them?

Not Ishi but go to deerage.com
That’s where we send all of ours.

Yes animal science :confused:
I have a commercial account with DeerAge.com another option is Mastons but DeerAge makes it easy on the whole process. They also accept samples from the general public as well.
I’m planning on doing a thread about the teeth removal and the whole process when dealing with DeerAge.com

Top Bottom