Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

One down, one to go

Limb Chicken

Anchored one this morning and made a marginal hit on the second one. :thrwrck: I know, I know it happens but there is no excuse (well there is in the story but really nothing but operator error). bird should have been dead.

Anyway, now that I got that off my chest, I will continue. Not knowing whether or not to go back to the area that my son shot his first gobbler on Friday morning as nothing was gobbling that we could hear I had a couple other spots in mind but when the alarm clock went off I hit snooze and went back to sleep only to wake in a panic. My laziness made the decision for me.

So I hopped on the Limb Chicken mobil hunting unit with all the crap I think I need to turkey hunt and head to the same spot Little Chicken shot his longbeard.

IMG_1206.jpg

Dawn was bleeding light (nautical twilight for you that like that term :D) and I was sweating and hustling out to get everything set up by myself before I was totally exposed by the sun.

Everything set and ready to go and I wait until I think the birds are on the ground and start to call. Nothing for about a half an hour then a distant response. Oh well I will sit and see what happens and then run into work if nothing is going on. Not to long after I hear the gobbles my wife texted me mocking me saying there are two longbeards out the back window... She didn't know I stayed close... :D I knew they were on the way and I looked to my left and two hens were working their way to my decoys... Ok, something is going to happen, truck, 4 wheeler, mushroom hunter, sasquatch something, this is just too perfect. But sure enough about the time the hens got in the decoys the toms crested the hill... Game over. Shoulder to shoulder straight to the DSD jake... I let them play around while getting some great video and finally decided I had better get a shot. I drew and squeezed and dropped the first one on the jake decoy. The second one didn't have a clue what was going on and walked away and came back. I grabbed another arrow and noticed the second one was out of the frame of the video and that bothered me a little so that is what I am blaming the less than ideal second shot on... :drink1: I just plain, blew it. Hit him low and watch him go and that is what happened. Tracked him for close to a mile and really believe I may have hit his leg after seeing the video slow so hopefully he will be a little sore and make it.

Shout out to Finbonz (Steve Finney) Great call man used it until they got close.

Finbonz.jpg

12Iowa1.jpg

DSC05473.jpg

Last edited:
  • Deleted by N/A
Show…
Top Bottom