Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

One lung hit

TimmyD525

PMA Member
What’s your guys experiences with one lung hits? Dad had one take a step before he fired and hit about 5 6 inches back and a hair low, very slight quartering away and got a pass thru. Bright red blood, but my dad walked to the top of the hill to see if he could see him and I think he jumped him from his first bed 100 yards away. We went in 3 hours later and found that bed with only a few drops leaving the bed then nothing. Here is what the bed blood looked like, he has to be dead but hoping he’s close. Curious how long he could live and travel? Thanks
bf9fe739a3d2a9fef60cb4db19afae14.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sure looks like he's dead. From my experience with a couple of one lung hits they usually expire within a half hour. One I watched bed down within 30 yards and he expired in 25 minutes, another ran 120 yards and expired. Hope you and your dad finds him.

Worst thing you can do with a 1 lung hit is push them…your dad jumped him first then 3 hours wasn’t near long enough….

I hit one like that several years ago. He walked about 30 yds and left a pool of blood bigger than that then walked off. I went in to track him the next morning and ran into him up and grazing in a pasture about 100 yds from where I hit him. I ended up killing the buck with the help of a buddy a couple hours later, but it was a real rodeo I’m not proud of. There is no doubt in my mind that buck would have survived the initial hit.

We never found him or any sign, walked a few neighboring properties with three of us and nothing. It’s a real bummer, good news is we learned the lesson, shot another one a few days later and he ran same direction, didn’t see him fall so came back in the morning and he was laying less than 100 yards away. Thanks for all your guys input, I know the dogs are good but it seems hard to locate one, get them down there fast enough, and fork out the cash just on hopes he’s dead.

Top Bottom