Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Opening Day Double - new pics n story page 2

Congrats muddy. Phone has been out in the truck so didn't get the text on the second one. The first one came at about 6:15, always fun to get the early wake up call about a gobbler down. Congrats on the double buddy.

Jarin

I should title this "Scout, scout, scout, KILL"

I scouted the farm and had them figured out, long story short I found out a guy and his kid had been pounding it all youth season and Sunday morning all the birds had been bumped from their primary 2 roost areas. I was pretty bummed but I burned some boot heel and finally located 5 gobblers in 2 groups.

Group 1 had 3 nice gobblers in it.
IMG_4362.jpg

Group 2 had 2 nice gobblers in it.
IMG_4365.jpg

Sunday evening I went back out and re-located the birds and watched them all fly to roost, Group 2 in particular I decided to go after because they flew up from the same spot I saw them in that morning. I got out nice and early and set everything up, right off the bat Group 2 hit the ground and came at me from different directions. The bigger of the birds saw the set up first, went into the mean walk, and charged BigBoi...

IMG_4368.jpg

IMG_4370.jpg

IMG_4371.jpg

He did the mean walk right up until the Rocket Hammerhead said, "Homie don't play that, SIT!" And he sat.
IMG_4372.jpg

The younger bird came in but I couldn't get a shot and as the first one flopped under the decoy he turned and ran, I guess he was scared of anything that could thump his older buddy.

I had birds all around me all morning but it wasn't until about 0830 I got fed up and started to mess with the hens down in the ravine. 10 minutes later a group of hens came out followed by Group 1, the 3 gobblers. They didn't even hesitate, they charged BigBoi as well. I got really excited on these guys, they all had ropes for beards.

IMG_4377.jpg

IMG_4376.jpg

IMG_4378.jpg

When they got about 3 feet from BigBoi they must've seen something because they all went on alert and I didn't hesitate to stick one right between the wings. He went about 15 yards and was done. He must've been the alpha because both of the other gobblers beat the holy hell out of him for 15 minutes and didn't leave until I was 2 steps out of the blind. They pecked him, spurred him, strutted on him, etc. They scratched his head so much they wore a dirt spot around his head.

IMG_4381.jpg

IMG_4403.jpg

IMG_4402.jpg

Recovery was great. Bird 1 was a really really good bird, spurs and beard posted earlier. He went around 23 pounds if memory serves me. Bird 2 was a freaking toad. He went just over 27 pounds, had an 11 1/4 inch beard, and 1.6 inch hooks.

Bird 2 as he lay.
IMG_4405.jpg

IMG_4407.jpg

Both together.
IMG_4432.jpg

IMG_4421.jpg

2 true blue Limbhangers in a couple hours. Hands down the BEST turkey hunt I've ever had and one I won't likely beat for a long time, if ever.

IMG_4438.jpg

IMG_4441.jpg

IMG_4440.jpg

Got home and took some more pictures with the kids. Everyone was all played out from grandma visiting so they were frumpy looking a little and I was just tired.

IMG_4456.jpg

Tired? Gee, I wonder why? Some people carry 100's of pounds of equipment, I prefer dead animals! :way:
IMG_4444.jpg

Simply incredible!!!!!!!! Way to get it done on all counts..photos....story....great shooting! Tough to beat that buddy :way:

What a hunt! You weren't kidding when you said you had a dynamo spot for opening day! Congrats!

Very nicely done. Love taking pictures of birds as they approach! Great to document the hunt a little better and keeps adrenoline down using fine motor skills.

Plus, that one gobbler is huge!

Congrats again!

MO:)

Cool story buddy and a couple of great gobblers. Wish I was still back in IA to witness that one.

Congrats
Kratz

Outstanding Mud!! Great hunt, great pics, and one Booner of a bird! :way:

And to think you can have a hunt like that WITHOUT a $200.00 Strutter Decoy.... :D Next thing ya know BigBoi's will be the "gotta have" craze of the year!! LOL!

>>--Ron--<>

Top Bottom