Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Opening Day Success!!

ShedHunter1

Man here we go again!!:)
What a day! Started out yesterday driving 2hrs. to the farm I late muzzleload on. My farmer friend said I was crazy and told me to sit in the truck till the last hour and half before sunset. Thats when the bucks come out. Well at 2:30 I scratched all the snow off a terrace down to the tall brown grass. I snuggled right in, TC-Binocs-rangefinder-and handwarmers.
It was also -4 when I got out of the truck. I looked like the Pillsbury doe boy laying in the snow! LOL
The farmer told his wife to peak out the kitchen window to check on me. She could see me with my orange vest on, I was very snow camoed in.
About an 2hrs later two does come out at 500 yds and I thought man I am in the wrong spot!:( I stay'd put and a little while later out of know were there he was a solid 150's 10ptr. I pulled up the range finder and it read 6yds. :confused: So I figured him at 150yds. Settled in allthough I couldn't feel my toes anymore and shot. Snow flew right under him! Dam I missed and he was hauling the mail across the cornfield. Must have been a little further than I thought. I reloaded the muzzleloader headed over to the spot where I had shot at him and seen were the slug skimmed through the snow. I followed his tracks all the way across the ridge and 0 blood.

Clean miss. As I peaked over the ridge there was a big bodied deer standing about 100yds in the hayfield, put his head up and looked at me. I ducked and low crawled to 80. Put my scope on his antlers and knew exactly who it was big 8! I crawled a little further and got ready for the shot. Chip shot at 60-70yds. Well this is when it got harry! LOL
I got ready for the shot kneeling down had him in my scope and he took off running right at me!!!! He stopped broadside at 45yds and I took his heart out! He ran on a dead run and skidded into the corn stalks.
I was like did this really happen? Me and him out on a big ridge, no trees nothin to hide behind. He was very curious as he didn't have a clue what I was.
Lots of history with him. Typical 8, guessing 6+ for age rough scored him around 148, 19 3/4 inside spread. Tallest tine is 11 1/4. Have sheds off him from 2 yrs ago and he was nice then. He just stayed about the same. I am more pumped that I came face to face with a old buck like that. Farmer asked me what I would have done if the gun wouldn't have went off. I guess tuck and roll!!! LOL
Good Luck to all Hunting and everyone have a Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year!! and lets bring on shed season!!:)

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

Last edited:
Excellent adventure.....Congrats on a great deer that you have history with. Thanks for taking us along. Merry Christmas

Fantastic, Sheddogger! The look on your face is priceless! It's like your smileing while your thinking " Hurry up and snap this pic so we can get into the truck"!

Also, I missed a buck the same way you did about four years ago.. So, don't be to down on yourself..

Way to get after it, Billy! Stalking them like an albino panther in the snow! Couldn't be happier for you man ... congrats on a dandy!!!

-Longspurs-

Top Bottom