Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Over run with Rag Weed?

MN2IAGuy

I seeded some switch 3 years ago and followed the round up and atrazine method. I have some good switch now but also lots of rag weed too. I believe it is rag weed. It is more like a little bush with small green branches and no leaves that is now throwing off a yellow pollen dust. It seems to be round up resistant. Anyone know what I'm talking about and how to get rid of it? I was just at my property planting some brassicas and spraying thistle but didn't take any pictures? Had to wash down the Rhino a few times from all the yellow pollen!

Sounds like ragweed.
Do you mean round-up resistant when you spray it when it's small or big? Anything big is going to have a much harder time being killed with round-up. On the round-up issue, some tidbits.... go heavier rates, 2-4 qts if any questions or just switch to spraying Liberty at 35-40 oz (roughly). Add Ammonium sulfate and crop oil. Spray when hot. Spray SMALL PLANTS actively growing. Those things will all help get better kill. FYI.

Sorry, in answer to killing ragweed in Switch..... Are you talking about NOW, earlier in season, in spring, when?
Several options..... 2,4-d. mix in crop oil and ams if you wanted. Roasted.
If switch is well established, you can run pre-emergents over it (ideally before it's out of dormancy) such as Plateau (which will free a growing plant & I'd suggest in situations where switch is already very thick). Oust is another option, Dbltree's forum has more on that. Oust makes me nervous but can read on that. You can continue Atrazine and swap Round-up for Liberty. 2,4-d in addition to any of this. By now, one of your other great aids & probably time is: FIRE.
Just like ANYTHING, there's usually option after option and most will vary depending on your situation (when you wanna kill, how good the switch stand is, is there anything else in there you want to save, do you really have Round-up resistance, etc, etc). Good luck!

Thanks Skip! I'll work up a game plan over the winter and tackle it next spring. Maybe the switch will start to choke out the rag weed.

Top Bottom