Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Ozonics...want opinions from those who own, or have tried the product.

I use scent crusher ozone go for my truck. Miracle worker. Had a minnow fall out of a minnow Bucket and didn't open my truck for two days- smelled like someone died. Less than 2 minutes it eliminated the smell.

Thanks for the tip. Amazon.com has a special offer on these now - 55% off at checkout and free shipping. Under $23 which is worth trying.

A little food for thought:
Health Considerations

Unfortunately, the same chemical properties that allow ozone to alter organic material in household air also give it the ability to react with organic material inside the human body. Even low levels of ozone exposure can cause the following conditions:

coughing, chest pain, shortness of breath, wheezing, and throat irritation;worsened chronic respiratory diseases, such as asthma;increased risk of developing bronchitis or pneumonia; and compromise's ability of the body to fight respiratory infections.

People's susceptibility to ozone varies widely. An ozone generator should never be operated in occupied spaces, and the area should be adequately vented before people or animals are allowed to re-enter.

According to a report produced by the EPA, ozone generators are ineffective at reducing levels of formaldehyde*and carbon monoxide, despite claims by manufacturers. Also, from the toxins with which ozone does react, there is a potential for the creation of new, potentially more dangerous toxins. For example, ozone mixed with chemicals from new carpet can create aldehydes, which can irritate the lungs. Other reactions may create formic acid, another irritant. The potential for chemical reactions in the average house is difficult to predict.

EPA Branding

A number of brands of ozone generators place EPA establishment numbers on their products. This number helps the EPA identify the facility that produced the product. The number does not mean that the EPA has found the device to be safe, as the EPA does not certify any air-cleaning devices.

Other Potential Damage Caused by Ozone in Homes

Plants

Environmental ozone causes more damage to plants than all other air pollutants combined. Similarly, ozone generators can damage plants in indoor environments. High levels of ozone will inhibit the ability of plants to open the microscopic pores on their foliage and breathe. Specifically, ozone can cause the following conditions in plants:

chlorosis, a condition in which the plant cannot produce sufficient chlorophyll to manufacture carbohydrates;necrosis, or the premature death of living cells, which may lead to the death of the plant as a whole;flecks or small light tan irregular spots;stipples, which are small, darkly pigmented areas; andreddening.

Damage to Building Materials

In addition to human and animal health, excess ozone can damage the following materials:

carpets, especially synthetic carpets;carpet padding;foam cushions;other plastic furnishings*and furniture covers;rubber pads and*padding;electrical wire coatings; andfabrics and art containing certain dyes or pigments.

If you look up the SDS for Ozone it lists the exposure limits and side effects of different exposures as well. From my understanding the EPA regulates the amount of Ozone commercially sold units can produce. Not sure of how true this is, but I would use caution if you are going to be in a confined space for an extended period of time with a running unit.

I use a plug in one in my vehicle but I also let it vent out big time before I get in it. I personally would never sit with one in a blind or confined space but that's me. I wouldn't let my kids but other folks can decide for themselves. I tried in the treestand a few years ago and it did not work for me. I sent back & got refund.
I do use a ton of scent control stuff like: washer & dryer at cabin that only has scent free detergent. I hang clothes and all gear outside for long periods. Store in bins later with dried out cedars. Take scent free showers with scent free towels. Brush teeth with scent free toothpaste & baking soda and don't eat ridiculous smelling stuff. My vehicle is as scent free as possible and I'm not getting covered up in stinky stuff before hunting. The list goes on. End of the day.... I still try and hunt better wind condition stands but count on deer getting downwind. Most the time they don't peg me, sometimes they do. Do I understand everything to do with thermals, specific scents that alert, a deer's nose and think I fully can fool em? No way. I personally think what I do helps though. I could care less what others do or don't do but always curious if someone has good ideas and I do think there's good ideas out there. Some work, some don't and nothing is 100%. For me, this one product didn't help me and I do have safety concerns that I won't mess with and I have managed to kill mature bucks, often down wind (like last year actually, walked right through my downwind lane) without this & pretty content as of now with steps I take which I find manageable & reasonable for me. To each his own though.

These devices shouldn't be used in a closed space where you will be occupying. I never understood why people did that. The best use for ozone gens is to put them in a partially sealed tub with your hunting clothes

I just read the F&S article that Junior posted the link to. It shows that type of product can help and id imagine even more than what their test shows, Ill paste a copy of my reply to that article below here. I dont think an ozonics machine or any other product is foolproof by any means but neither are rattling antlers or grunt calls or decoys or anything else that so many of us drag to the timber when we go.... they might only help a small percentage of the time but we still always take them in and the once in a great while they produce makes it all worth it. Now granted most of the stuff we drag along each hunt doesnt cost quite as much as Ozonics and I dont have an Ozonics myself but I still cant bring myself to tell someone theyre worthless or wont work. Since the unit in question isn't foolproof I would still hunt the wind so it was to my best advantage because you never really know where a deer is going to come from or go to It just might be the ticket to getting that deer to keep walking thru your scent stream far enough or long enough and offer you the shot. Like I said everyone should know that it isnt foolproof but neither are most of the other hunting items we buy, just another piece of the puzzle and maybe the small detail that makes a hunt work out someday that might have failed otherwise.
Now with all that being said... I think if you're looking to use ozone to help out your odds then like mentioned above you're probably better of using it at home or in your vehicle where it can be more concentrated and have more time to work and do so safely and if thats how you're going to go about it there are much cheaper ways to go about it than an Ozonics.

While this test could be an accurate gauge on how well these products work for a drug dealer hiding in a closet it doesn't really say how well they would work in a real hunting environment. First of all the dog knows someone is in one of those boxes, second of all the dog is at ground level and inches away from the people hiding from him and I dont know how everyone else hunts but i dont spend much time on the ground inches away from the deer Im hunting somewhere they know to look for me. Now if this experiment was done in an open air timber environment with the hunter in a treestand and an hour or two after he had walks in so his ground scent trail wasn't still completely fresh and the dog was brought in from a different direction so it couldnt just hit a ground scent trail and follow it then it might give a more accurate idea of if any of these work or how well they do. The dog will still know its looking for someone but Id imagine a deer is always on the lookout for people as well. But if the dog has to search a 5-10-20acre piece of ground and the hunter isnt hiding in one of so many boxes it would be a lot more relative to hunting. Im not trying to say that ozone or any other product is fool proof but in a situation where a deer doesnt know youre there and theyre only going to be in your scent stream long enough to pass through it then anything helps and can be the difference of getting picked off or getting the shot

Last edited:
I use a plug in one in my vehicle but I also let it vent out big time before I get in it. I personally would never sit with one in a blind or confined space but that's me. I wouldn't let my kids but other folks can decide for themselves. I tried in the treestand a few years ago and it did not work for me. I sent back & got refund. I do use a ton of scent control stuff like: washer & dryer at cabin that only has scent free detergent. I hang clothes and all gear outside for long periods. Store in bins later with dried out cedars. Take scent free showers with scent free towels. Brush teeth with scent free toothpaste & baking soda and don't eat ridiculous smelling stuff. My vehicle is as scent free as possible and I'm not getting covered up in stinky stuff before hunting. The list goes on. End of the day.... I still try and hunt better wind condition stands but count on deer getting downwind. Most the time they don't peg me, sometimes they do. Do I understand everything to do with thermals, specific scents that alert, a deer's nose and think I fully can fool em? No way. I personally think what I do helps though. I could care less what others do or don't do but always curious if someone has good ideas and I do think there's good ideas out there. Some work, some don't and nothing is 100%. For me, this one product didn't help me and I do have safety concerns that I won't mess with and I have managed to kill mature bucks, often down wind (like last year actually, walked right through my downwind lane) without this & pretty content as of now with steps I take which I find manageable & reasonable for me. To each his own though.

Smoking up works great and is an antimicrobial!!

Ok, so I decided to buy it and give it a try. Thanks to all those who posted any advice/comments, whether positive or negative. I am excited to give this a go and see what type of results I get. I hunt an area that deer come from absolutely all directions, so very tough to play the wind completely. I am sure it wont take too many sits to see how well it works. I really just can wait to be in the stand and see that first deer come walking in!!!!! Good luck to you all this season!

Top Bottom