Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Passing Bucks

Elitebowhunter

Over my hunting career I have transformed into more of a "trophy hunter" rather than shoot the first buck I see. I have shot a good amount of 140-150 inch deer but over the last 4 or 5 years I have been a little more picky (passing anything under 140). This year I told myself to pass anything under 160 unless it was mature over 4 years of age. Tonight I finally had to pass my first deer over 150 and let me tell you it was hard. Had my bow in hand and trigger on... Needless to say I passed a 155-160 inch 10 point but I could see that the deer was only a 3 yr old. Does this get easier with time or am I setting too high of expectations? What do the rest of you have as your "pass free" zone? :eek:

I think a lot of it has to do whether or not you are on your own land or private land with little pressure.

I don't have the chance very often to hunt land that is not hunted by dozens of other hunters, so I can honestly say I probably would not have passed it up. Congrats on the discipline of passing that up. I hope it works out for you!

Its always hard, but if you have the time and know there are better bucks around, you just do it. Every day, especially as gun season gets closer, you gotta decide where your head is at

Whether you pass or shoot, how do you feel at the end of the hunt or season? I have seen some people pass some awful nice bucks, but then they are quite miserable and even cantankerous following that choice and seem to sincerely regret it later. To me, pass what you prefer, shoot what you prefer, but if deer hunting is "hurting" you then I think you are doing it wrong. :grin:

If you are happy with your hunting experience and Ok with maybe not getting a buck, then pass away. (Well, maybe not "pass away"! :D But keep on passing them.) I hunt for recreation and enjoyment, not self torture, (I get enough of that at work!:D)

I have passed up some bucks as big as 150'ish and then shot bucks that are in low 130/high 120 class...and been happy doing that. For me, there are a lot other variables to consider. How much can I actually hunt, what is my mood at the time, do I "know" the buck...

If you know how big the deer is and can pass it up I'm sure you would not be satisfied if you had shot. Nothing wrong with being picky. Hunt the way YOU enjoy hunting.

Whether you pass or shoot, how do you feel at the end of the hunt or season? I have seen some people pass some awful nice bucks, but then they are quite miserable and even cantankerous following that choice and seem to sincerely regret it later. To me, pass what you prefer, shoot what you prefer, but if deer hunting is "hurting" you then I think you are doing it wrong. :grin:

If you are happy with your hunting experience and Ok with maybe not getting a buck, then pass away.

Daver said it.:way:

My acid test? Am I having fun?.......

Eric, i am in the same boat and i know what you mean have passed on several 130 to 145 inch bucks this year. I always tell myself if you have to think twice about it dont do it. the problem is i think im after less than half of a percent of the deer out there, but oh well i love siting in the woods.

Same here with you, i told myself last year 160+ or 4 years old +. I shot a 140 last year, and i think i am becoming a more mature hunter. I passed a 130-140 9 and it was tough but made me feel pretty good and a excpeirenced hunter.

"Am I having fun"?- ya, I agree with that. I personally do have fun with passing young bucks.
I do RARELY, if EVER, hear the question - Beyond my own self interest and "Fun", what's best for the herd, neighborhood, BIOLOGY, age structure, etc??? I personally think some sort of version of that question should enter into all us "seasoned hunters" minds. Something past what only makes YOU happy. That's my belief.

I have ate my bow tag the past two years. Could have shot a 140's buck both years, but I don't regret it at all. I enjoy the experience, the only thing that bums me out is when I don't see particular bucks that I am after. I start to second guess stands, etc.

I have fun just being in the woods and seeing deer, if I get to kill one that is even better.

Yep know what you mean, I passed this 3 year old tonight At 19yds and he is definately pushing 160".

11-hight4.jpg

My son passed a 150" 3 year old and shot a 130s 5 year old last Sat afternoon. More to a deer than the score.

Nothing I've had in range has been more than a 3.5 year old. But dang it seems every one of them wants to come right to the base of my tree.

It gets a lot easier once you send an arrow through a 5.5-6.5-7.5 old deer. "Fun" yeah it's a blast letting 3.5-4.5 yr grow into their full potiential. Getting to know the deer and learning their personality, shed antlers. Building a history with individual bucks it what makes it fun for me. But if an odd ball older deer shows up in November. He's toast. Same as an older buck That I know is old. Older than 5.5 and doesn't have what it takes to be a giant, he Will be a target. I will honestly pass a 160" 3.5 yr old buck but be shaking like a leaf at a 6.5 yr old 140" deer. Something about shooting an old buck that's been around the block that fires me up. Its all about matching wits and skills with an animal that has survived everything up until my arrow flies through his lungs

"Am I having fun"?- ya, I agree with that. I personally do have fun with passing young bucks.
I do RARELY, if EVER, hear the question - Beyond my own self interest and "Fun", what's best for the herd, neighborhood, BIOLOGY, age structure, etc??? I personally think some sort of version of that question should enter into all us "seasoned hunters" minds. Something past what only makes YOU happy. That's my belief.

Everybody has different things bouncing around in their head. Like how much of my (non-food plot) corn and soybeans are the deer eating, how many of the trees that I planted are getting rubbed up..... ;) I doubt the average hunter has much impact on the biology of the herd (they don't control enough area).

I haven't shot anything with much size to it, but last Saturday I passed on a younger 150s 10 and shot a old mature 7 that was right behind him(Couldn't find him, gonna look again as soon as possible) My dad asked me if I was crazy and I told him that I would rather shoot an old mature buck that is still respectable, than a deer that could be a giant in a year or 2. I think it all depends on your situation.

I'm of the mindset that I'm gonna shoot around what I shot last year or better. But will eventually get to the point that any 140-150 deer that walk in will probably get shot. I don't have the luxury of letting them walk when I hunt primarily on public land. Those 130's deer however will always get a pass. Unless it's a 130's 6 pointer..

bucks

I have been hunting since 2000 and i have never shot a buck, i have been waiting for the deer worth putting onthe wall. this is the first year that ihave devoted a ton oftime hunting, i am out there every chance i get. I have finally found the buck i am targeting and it is awesome trying to outsmart the does and younger bucks and stay stealth so i can get to the buck i want, I had him at 65 yards tonight and hopefully he will get closer tomorrow
The best part of the Hunt for me is the game and the challenge, if a huge deer walked infront of you every timewhat would the challenge be. Everyone wouldhave one,

I always think about whether I want to be done hunting as well. As the seasons go by, I find myself enjoying the serenity of the hunt nearly as much as the harvest. Bow tags are cheap, I don't need to fill it every year to be satisfied. I really love the hunt!

Top Bottom