Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Peep sight tubing

Jdubs

Can the length of your peep sight tubing be too short and cause erratic shots? I thought the tubing on the peep was too short, I lengthened it and my groupings seem to be more consistent. Can this be a problem or is it just me?

The best move I ever made was to get rid of a peep sight with tubing and go to one of those round peep sights without the tubing. It's a little bit of a hassle to get it adjusted initially, but once you do, it's so much nicer. No worries about the tubing breaking on ya, etc.

And if you ever have one of those come un-glued from the limb and smack you in the face ( BEEN THERE _DONE THAT ) you will find another design POST-HASTE
shocked.gif

For target...I think it is fine or even better to go without the peep BUT when it comes to hunting, I want the peep tubing there as sooner or later, your peep will decide not to rotate and leave you guessing (Been there, done that)
grin.gif

The newer strings are more condusive to peeps without the tubing but I would not trust a regular old peep to a B+C class animal

You can have better accuracy to your arrows if the tubing is just tight enough to rotate the peep effectivly. I would think too short can cause a small difference in string tension thus causing small changes in arrow launch
confused.gif

I just read something last week that said the peep tubing on your string can slow your arrow down as much as 12 fps. Can that be true???? Seems like a pretty hefty loss to me for just a little piece of rubber.

I'm not sure what was happening, but the tubing was short enough to cause it to come unraveled, I tie it to my buss cable, every second shot or so causing me to shoot 6 in. high. I put on a longer section of tubing and solved the problem. Why I'm not certain.

My peep cost me a deer this year. It's a "tubeless" model that had always been great...until out of the blue one November evening I drew back and couldn't see through it. It was 1/4 turn out of whack...with a very nice 10 point standing broadside at 20 yards. After the cursory letoff and redraw followed by hoarse whispering curse words that deer trotted to 35 yards and watched me frantically trying to figure out how to get a shot off.
It pisses me off just thinking about it.

Jdubs,
I think the loss in speed is attributed the idea that the string, when released, actually falls faster than the tubing, thus the string actually pulls the tubing along creating a small amount of drag on the string. I would say however, that 12 fps would probably be the extreme. I myself do not use tubing, but I make sure to draw every time I enter a stand ensuring the peep comes around full. It's definately not a sure fire thing though, I'm sure someday it will bite me in the rear.
CRITR

Critr,

Makes sense. I wondering now if I should go with a tubeless model. Has anyone stopped using the peep altogether? I know several years ago I got mad removed my peep and thought my kisser would be adequate, but I was wrong. Shot like crap until I put the darn thing back on.
shrug[1].gif
shrug[1].gif

Here's an idea for ya that might work......I started out by taking the tube off of mine and just wrapping it around one of my limbs in case it ever got out of whack. Eventually I filed the plactic tube stem off of my peep and left the tube at home, but maybe for a while just disconnect it from your power cable and peep, wrap it around your limb, and carry it with you for a while. After shooting it a couple hundred times you should know wether or no it's going to turn. Hope this all makes sense.
CRITR

You also might want to try the no-peep by timberline, if you run a search for it on here there has been a couple threads on it.

Critr,

So far so good with your idea. Why did you eventually file the peep stem off? Should I just leave it in case I do run into problems? The extra weight on the peep shouldn't matter.

Yeah you can leave it on.......I'm just anal.
grin.gif
Probably what I should have done with mine, just looked kinda goofy stickin out.
CRITR

Shoot a peep that splits the string in 3 instead of in two. Then you don't have to worry about where it comes around too. Have had no problems with that style of peep.

Top Bottom