Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

People (Outfitters) Setting up to shoot on your side of the fence.

THEBAD

Just wanting some opinions, we have a number tree stands including a outfitters equipment who has setup to hunt right on our fence lines with "their" shooting lanes setup to shoot on to our property. What would you do or how would you handle it ?

I would contact the CO and the outfitter and get it straightened out immediately. Or I'd set-up with a camera and hunt the edge on your side to make sure they didn't shoot anything on you.

Did they clip shooting lanes on your property? If so, then I would take pictures and make some calls.

I'd have a talk with the outfitter, maybe some clients did it that they do not know about as well??

Take some pictures before calling the outfitter/landowner. I'd also call/go see the landowner if possible also and tell them the troubles of the outfitter and/or their hunters staying on their side of the fence.

I also have an outfitter who leases ground joining one of my farms, the actual landowner of the leased ground said if I ever see something like that to call him and he'd take it up with the outfitter, if the outfitter your talking about doesn't own the land in question I'd take it up with the landowner first

Call the Sheriff.

Unless the guy has legitimately broken the law why would you get them involved. I understand where land owners come from when surrounding farms hunt entirely to close or on a fence row however if there stand is on "their" property there isn't a thing you can do about it. Plus unless you have evidence that he is "shooting" onto your property then your just assuming and we both know how that usually ends up.

Yeah, I have a stand that the only tree I can hang on sits literally right on the neighbors fence line. While I did cut a branch that in turn openend a lane onto the others property, I have no intentions of shooting that way. I just needed it out of the way so I could sit more comfortable in the stand. And just to verify, when you say "our" fencelines.. I assume you are the landowner and not just ground you hunt??

I'm having a guy accuse me of this but I'm 50 yards from the fenceline and can't shoot over the fence. I'm not an outfitter thought. Don't call the sherriff or CO if he's not doing anything wrong. Oh, and don't threaten to steal his stands on the other side of the fence.

Just wanting some opinions, we have a number tree stands including a outfitters equipment who has setup to hunt right on our fence lines with "their" shooting lanes setup to shoot on to our property. What would you do or how would you handle it ?

Nothing done that is illegal as of yet that I can tell, about all you can do is have a talk with them and let them know that you do not want them shooting across the fence, will it happen,probably but unless you see them do it theres not much you are going to do

Just put some salt blocks or some other licking block next to the fence and stand but on your side. Then they can't hunt it or it would be considered baiting. Problem solved! :)

Yeah, I have a stand that the only tree I can hang on sits literally right on the neighbors fence line. While I did cut a branch that in turn openend a lane onto the others property, I have no intentions of shooting that way. I just needed it out of the way so I could sit more comfortable in the stand. And just to verify, when you say "our" fencelines.. I assume you are the landowner and not just ground you hunt??

Correct I am the landowner on most of it, but they are also doing it on a piece of ground we lease.

I was thinking of putting up some 10ft high no hunting signs (on our side of the fence) right in front of all their stands that are on our fence lines. They would know and i believe they do know our intentions. The last few years we have had more than our share of issues with trespassers, and the last one that was caught ended up paying the state pretty big$$$.

Yeah, then I agree with Nanny... or the signs for that fact.. As long as they are on your side have at it! If they arent doing anything wrong, then shouldnt get ticked off... and if your signs get shot up, well add that to the list they could get charged for IMO

I know a guy that peed in gallon milk jugs. Once a week he would go dump them out on his side of the fence.

I had an interesting situation this fall. I have sole rights to a small timber that is surrounded by cropground. I have had a stand for years in the corner of the timber about 25 yards in the cover, no way I can shoot across the fence, nor would I need to. I was checking stands Sept. 1 and here was a salt/mineral pile about 5 yds. into the timber, 15 yds from my stand, with a trailcam on the line fence pointing into the timber. Access to the neighboring property is limited to walking by the guy's house so I knew it was him or one of his buddies. We're neighbors but not on the best of terms. My first call was to the CO, who I know well, and I asked him about hunting from my stand this year. He chuckled and said they were obviously trespassing to put the salt out and if I wanted he would confiscate the camera and file the charges. I didn't want to get my landowner involved so I asked what else I could do. He suggested calling whoever I thought owned the camera and asking why they thought they could put bait across the fence. So, a couple unanswered phone messages that night and the camera was gone the next morning. CO said I should throw the salt away or scatter it well and cover the site with fresh dirt and as far as he was concerned, I could hunt from the stand. He did say if he had stumbled onto the situation, I would have been in trouble, since I couldn't prove I hadn't put the salt out. Calling your CO and being on record is the key to staying out of trouble in these fenceline situations. He did say if the salt had been on THEIR side of the fence, but only 25 yds. from my stand, I would not have been charged since you can't control what happens over the fence, unless of course, you have permission and/or control of that property as well. I'm glad I'm not a CO and have to sort this stuff out!! But again, be on good terms with your CO, and be on record with him/her about situations like these.

I know a guy that peed in gallon milk jugs. Once a week he would go dump them out on his side of the fence.

Did this affect deer movement? If so, wondering about everyone letting it fly from the stand. I've also heard putting out human hair or predator scent might work.

Did this affect deer movement? If so, wondering about everyone letting it fly from the stand. I've also heard putting out human hair or predator scent might work.

I know a guy that pees out of his stand every sit! I swear he has a bladder the size of a pea. But he still manages to kill big deer. He tells me he has been doing it for year and it doesn't bother the deer. Personally, i refuse to! I will get down and walk a 100 yards before i let it loose out of my stand!

Top Bottom