Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Persimmon Barrier for Black Walnuts

sirrloin

I ordered a couple dozen late dropping variety apple trees from Century Farms to plant this spring. Very nice company to deal, good pricing and tons of great information.

My issue is that I have 3 black walnuts surrounding my food plot area I'd like to plant them in. I know they recommend about 50 feet from the drip line to make sure to avoid juglone poisoning. I was told Persimmons tolerate being around black walnuts and was seeing if anyone has had any experience with this? Not sure if it would help reduce the risk or wouldn't matter since the juglone persists in the soil. Not sure if we can really grow any of the trendy varieties in the bottom third of the state or just American Persimmons?

I ordered a couple dozen late dropping variety apple trees from Century Farms to plant this spring. Very nice company to deal, good pricing and tons of great information.

My issue is that I have 3 black walnuts surrounding my food plot area I'd like to plant them in. I know they recommend about 50 feet from the drip line to make sure to avoid juglone poisoning. I was told Persimmons tolerate being around black walnuts and was seeing if anyone has had any experience with this? Not sure if it would help reduce the risk or wouldn't matter since the juglone persists in the soil. Not sure if we can really grow any of the trendy varieties in the bottom third of the state or just American Persimmons?
Now that’s a unique & good question!!
I’d get out as far as possible. 50’ really isn’t that hard. I’d hate to be wrong & see them die.
As far as persimmon varieties …. I’ve seen a few guys get away with the bigger kinds that are meant for zone 7 & up. If they are cheap - give it a whirl. I wouldn’t invest a ton into them though as it’s probably not a wise move. ;). Load up on zone 5 tolerant varieties & throw pear & crabapple in there too.

Top Bottom