Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Persimmons

Fishbonker

Life Member
The last issue of American Hunter had a list of deer's favorite food put together by a famous deer biologist, who's name is escapeing me at the moment. The top of the list was Perssimons. I did some searching and found that Persimmons are OK in the growing zone that Iowa is in (5?). Only the females produce fruit and it takes five years to bear. A couple of places on the 'net had them for sale, but none of them would gaurantee sex of the tree so you had to buy several in hopes of getting fruit bearing trees. I'm not sure if they will bear fruit if you only have female trees or not. Another tree he reccomended is the Paw Paw. They are supposedly OK for the Iowa weather too. These are more like bushes than trees.

Anyway, in a post below there was a string about apples that had some questions about Persimmons so I thought I'd share.

The 'Bonker

Long story short, I will be getting 16 bare root 6"-12" tall persimmon trees early next week. I am going to plant them at my farm in Davis County and the predominate soil type is heavy clay, that is if you don't count the rocks!
crazy.gif

Does anyone know how far apart these should be spaced from one another when planted?

Is there a preferred, general location for this type of tree. (i.e. full shade, no shade, slope, soil type, etc.) I plan on strategically placing them so they are not visible to the road and in a location that deer favor already, etc, but I am looking for some additional advice.

I plan on fencing them off too so they don't get browsed or rubbed and never grow. Please advise, thanks.

Daver,
the trees that I just planted said that full to mostly full sun, and 15-20 feet apart? They weren't persimmons but red delicious semi-dwarfs. Don't know if that helps or not.

Top Bottom