Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Pickup hoist

Mike311

I’m getting tired of wrestling deer into the back of my pickup with no help. What’s the go-to hoist for a pickup receiver? I want a good one, no cheap junk brands. I’m not into making my own either. No, a cell phone to call for help is not what I’m looking for either. Everyone is always busy it seems…

Reactions: arm
I just got an ad from Scheels, inside the back cover is a HME hitch hoist 20% off regular price of $149. I have no experience with it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We have hoists and don’t ever use them I take a chunk of 2x10 or 2x12 and leave one at each farm that goes from the ground to the tailgate and can slide a deer up into the bed easily by myself.
You’ve never had problems with The deer sliding off the side of the single board?

Why do they need to go in back? Some of you guys will remember this pic when my son figured out this little trick a few years back.

image.jpg

We have hoists and don’t ever use them I take a chunk of 2x10 or 2x12 and leave one at each farm that goes from the ground to the tailgate and can slide a deer up into the bed easily by myself.
And I thought I might be the only one using this trick. It sometimes takes me a try to two to get the balance figured out but it does work. However, as I get older and continue to find myself out there on my own quite often, I am quite interested in the feedback on truck hitch hoists. I have a friend who loves his but I am not sure what brand he went with. Not only for the trucks, but the side by side too.

I too am pretty much past the days where I could hoist a deer up onto the tailgate all by myself, harrumph. :) I think it is because the tailgates are higher and the deer are heavier. :)

I don't have any experience with hoists, but what I have been doing for solo lifts is to put the carcass in a plastic ice fishing sled and then lifting the front edge up and onto the tailgate, propping it up at an angle, then going around to the back side and lifting it up and sliding/pushing it in. A board, or two, would make that process even slicker.

• Deleted by chipterp
  • Reason: Copy
Show…
I too am pretty much past the days where I could hoist a deer up onto the tailgate all by myself, harrumph. :) I think it is because the tailgates are higher and the deer are heavier. :)

I don't have any experience with hoists, but what I have been doing for solo lifts is to put the carcass in a plastic ice fishing sled and then lifting the front edge up and onto the tailgate, propping it up at an angle, then going around to the back side and lifting it up and sliding/pushing it in. A board, or two, would make that process even slicker.
That’s what I do with my cart. Tired of that trick also…

No hoist users out here?

I have a buddy who puts a sheet a plywood in his bed, and has eyelets on the "bottom" side when its on the ground. Then he uses straps and winches it in basically (he uses an atv winch) I doubted him when he told me, but it works slick.

I have one and use it. I think it is... https://www.sportsmansguide.com/pro...and-gambrel-swivel-hitch-lift-system?a=681080

Now that I'm over 50, there is no way I'm getting a full size buck into my truck by myself without killing my back. I like this hoist. Probably not the most expensive or with bells and whistles, but it works great. I like how they swivel so you hoist, swivel and unload into the truck. I use mine several times a year and it saves me from a jacked up back.

Had a hoist welded by a friend for me. Two inch thick slides into truck hitch reciever, boat winch on the top of it, so it can lock as reeling up. Its held up many deer. I use it to load them if by myself and to hose them out when I get home before they go into garage. Also works if you are on a trip somewhere where a hoist isnt present. I dont know if I would trust the flimsy cheap made store boat ones for the big bucks ;)

I have one and use it. I think it is... https://www.sportsmansguide.com/pro...and-gambrel-swivel-hitch-lift-system?a=681080

Now that I'm over 50, there is no way I'm getting a full size buck into my truck by myself without killing my back. I like this hoist. Probably not the most expensive or with bells and whistles, but it works great. I like how they swivel so you hoist, swivel and unload into the truck. I use mine several times a year and it saves me from a jacked up back.
I'm in the same boat here. Love the swivel piece. Use it a couple times a season at least. I will load the buck on the ranger with it...take it out of the hitch and throw it in the back with the buck...then back the ranger into the garage. Put it back on and skin/hang the deer from it. Works great. Well worth the $150 or less you should be able to find it for.

I’m getting tired of wrestling deer into the back of my pickup with no help. What’s the go-to hoist for a pickup receiver? I want a good one, no cheap junk brands. I’m not into making my own either. No, a cell phone to call for help is not what I’m looking for either. Everyone is always busy it seems…
I agree with the struggle as well. Those big mature bucks can be very difficult. What I started doing years ago and haven't looked back since is throwing a set of ATV ramps in the back of the truck. Not for an ATV most the time but in case a shoot one I fold those out and drag it right up at. Less than $100 solution that's not janky. The ATV ramps are the type that fold out to one solid ramp. Not the two individuals

Top Bottom