Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Picky Deer?

Bowman D

Just went out to hang my last stand today and noticed the mineral licks I placed out roughly a month or more ago appear untouched, other than what appears to be naturally falling off from moisture. Is there a reason they aren't giving them attention? I know theres quite a bit of acorns around, but thought they would still take a stab at them. I've never put out licks before so don't know if this is normal?!

Bowman D

Once the summer comes to an end, the antlers are done growing and does start weening the young from nursing. Therefore, deer don't require minerals this time of year like they did in the spring and early summer. The best time to put out your minerals are late winter/early spring. The deer will hammer them during those periods and throughout most of summer.

when you look at those places next summer you'll find big holes. They'll get to them later, leave them there or pick them up and put them back out next spring, you choose.

Top Bottom