Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Picture perfect morning

LoessHillsArcher

PMA Member
Turkeys haven’t been acting normal all season, quite on the roost and not spending much time in the fields strutting, finally last week with the warmth and wind things started to turn on a bit. Yesterday morning had the neighbor kid to try to get him a bird. We have been successful the last three years and wanted to make it four! We had high hopes when this is what was right in front of us at daybreak!

Around 6 gobbling slowed and we realized none of the birds flew down to us. So we didn’t take long to get after them while they were still hot. We had two that were most vocal and while closing the distance on them I was hitting the box call and a single gobble came about 50yds in front of us! We both whipped our heads around wondering how we couldn’t see this bird because it was wide open between us and the sound of the gobble. I peak my head up and look down in the valley and there’s a bird in full strut!

The bird sees the fan and is walking right in. I get John setup for a shot and the tom was at 40yds and slowly closing. He then got to 30yds and changed his mind and turned to leave... 25yds is max for johns 20g shotgun and the bird was outside of 30 for sure and going away so I grabbed my gun and went to shoot, safety was on yet! Clicked the safety off, raised up because the bird went out of sight, raised up a bit more found his head and rolled him around 40yds. At the shot two other toms (not the two we were originally after) ended up being right next to the tom I shot, we were so close to doubling up.

The bird was a nice one! Im still waiting to kill one with some big hooks like I’ve been seeing you guys shooting on here!

26#s
11 1/8” beard
1” spurs (I was surprised spurs weren’t longer to match the weight)

068923f9161499f8743ec94c33b07e3b.jpg

7be9ceb4038419df55ac95b4a8840569.jpg

a231cb1e1a45fbc827859abcd86e51d4.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Top Bottom