Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Planting decisions

bjkpharmd

I'm curious how others decide what to plant. I've seen lots of questions here "What should I do?" looking for input and others that say "We are doing this ..." looking for advice on ground prep, etc. The usual suspects are the "name brand" forage & attractants, or corn, beans, clover, alfalfa, rye, or wheat. I try to fill weak spots for the area to provide nutrition year round but haven't really done this in any scientific manner. The turnip post made me wonder how people decide what to plant and if it isn't something "normal" for the area, have people had good luck. Chufa grew well for me last year but got little use.

Food is food to deer, does not matter what they are used to...in most caeses anyways. I am just getting into the food plot stuf this year and plan on seeding forage oats and turnips in the late summer. It would be useless for me to plant any corn or beans based on the idea I have this stuff all around my hunting area...I just look at what will provide the deer with food during the fall and winter months, I have heard a lot of good stuff about the turnips and oats in years past.

I put in whats normal for the area. Its just close for them to get at with out going out in the open so far from cover.Soybeans and corn .Big plots In the open don't get used till late winter.

I'm putting out forage oats late summer, and alrealdy have alfalfa.Also I planted about 8-10 acres of corn and grain sorgum and a few soybeans. My idea is the soybeans are there cause I can view alot of deer on them right now and turn them under to plant the oats later on.And the corn is great late season food,all the local corn is usually gone and turned under . And the grain sorgum I planted I don't know yet I know the quail and pheasants and turkeys love it.

Even though corn and soybeans may be common to your area, having them still around at Thanksgiving and beyond isn't. In my experience, it's hard to beat a plot with a corn, soybeans and clover mixture. Covers you from early season through the tough winter and everything in between. Good luck!

NWBuck

I try to plant something for all the seasons. I have 2 plots of clover and alfa-rack 1 ridge apart, then on the bottom I plant a plot for summer that usually has some type of bean and other stuff mixed in, I have been experimenting with different things here to see what complements the beans and corn planted in the fields. I want something different but still attractive that has alot of protein potential. Then I have my fall plots on the next ridge over that up until this year was planted in buck forage oats, but the deer kept them so short that by late muzzleloader and the deeper snow that it wasn't used as much as I wanted. So this year I am making my field bigger and putting half of the plot to brassica. Hopefully this will help concentrate the deer (1 big one anyway) in this plot before they head to the fields of corn. I hunt the draws between the bedding areas and my food plots. Even if the plan doesn't come together it is still fun playing the game and I enjoy planting and watching the food plots almost as much as hunting by them,ALMOST.

Top Bottom