Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Planting Green

Meyer30

We FINALLY got some good rains in northern Iowa over this last week. I took the opportunity to try out GrowingDeer's "planting green" strategy of drilling a fall mix right into standing beans.

I made my own fall mix of winter rye, Welter seed Big Buck Brassica mix, and white clover. I drilled that into my beans, and top dressed it with urea.

Looks great so far with the rains and fertilizer! Anybody else have any luck trying this?
20210808_173951.jpg
20210730_065219.jpg
20210730_060650.jpg

Last edited:
I also drilled brassicas into some beans that were not terminated and fert with treated urea. No grain. I am a big fan of that strategy.

Yeah, yeah, yeah . . . Lucky you getting your rain . . . Rub it in . . . . Ha ha

It is looking really good, I'm just jealous. The rain seems to go around us every time.

We spread brassica seed into the beans in MN and Iowa and were lucky enough to catch a decent rain on both!

Love it!! Great pics & congrats on the growth & RAIN!!!!
I’m gonna run over some beans soon…. I’ve got some that are mediocre or kinda meant for deer to eat & mow down…. They pretty clean and I’m about ready to run my drill through them in future here. Love it myself- big fan as well. Million different methods & experiments…. I wanna hear your final thoughts later on this plot. Learning never ends. Looks great though!!!

Love it!! Great pics & congrats on the growth & RAIN!!!!
I’m gonna run over some beans soon…. I’ve got some that are mediocre or kinda meant for deer to eat & mow down…. They pretty clean and I’m about ready to run my drill through them in future here. Love it myself- big fan as well. Million different methods & experiments…. I wanna hear your final thoughts later on this plot. Learning never ends. Looks great though!!!
I couldn't have asked for a better August and September for brassicas. In the areas where the deer had mowed down the beans, the brassicas and rye came in great! Next year, I will definitely go to 15" rows and lower the population of beans planted to get more area and sunlight for the fall mix. The beans just took off with all the rain we got and out competed everything (not that I'm complaining!)
20210921_165936.jpg
20210908_185814.jpg

20210921_171002.jpg
20210921_171018.jpg

I couldn't have asked for a better August and September for brassicas. In the areas where the deer had mowed down the beans, the brassicas and rye came in great! Next year, I will definitely go to 15" rows and lower the population of beans planted to get more area and sunlight for the fall mix. The beans just took off with all the rain we got and out competed everything (not that I'm complaining!)
View attachment 121362View attachment 121365

View attachment 121363View attachment 121364
That folks is PERFECTION! Awesome!

changing the spacing to 15” …. What spacing were these beans here?

Top Bottom