Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Poacher Screen

4 Buck

I am looking for ideas on what you guys are using for a permanent screen along your roadways to keep the local poachers from sticking the barrel out the window. I know a lot of you guys are using EW but that is only temporary. I will have to go the EW route im guessing for quite a few years till something gets mature and takes its place.

Just curious what everyone uses...

We don't use them but I have seen large round bales stacked 3 high to prevent this. Looks ugly but works.

Cedars... grow on almost any site... fast growing for a tree..... browse tolerant and upper echelon on disease resistance.

X2 on the red cedars. Put in 2 rows, with the EW untill they are big enough. Those Austrees or whatever they are called, a super fast growing screen tree may be good in one row also, dont know how hardy they are though.

Cedars are great habitat for small game and upland birds, especially in the winter, and even more so when you have a blizzard role through.

DoubleTree has a very detailed thread about establishing EW in the Habitat section. We've been doing same for screening.....several rows of Eastern Red Cedars, with EW until they're tall enough. The EW is amazing.....in a year with decent moisture t can get to 12' in height.

How long will it take for ERC to be big enough to screen? I'm thinking about Miscanthus X Giganteous grass for a screen.

EW is great, easy to plant, grows even if it is dry. Permanent screen;

6 rows...
Plum
Aspen or H Poplar
Pin Oak... Keeps its leaves until late winter
Cedar
Cedar
Spruce

5-10 years no one will see thru it

Look into a hybrid poplar and willow screening. VERY fast growing trees,shrubs at a rate of 5-9 feet a year. Check it out and good luck in stopping those scumbags.

If you don't need a lot of height, 9-bark grows anywhere & thrives on neglect almost as well as cedar. A couple rows will give you 5-6 feet or better of very dense cover in a couple years. Planted along side a couple rows of cedar & you may even see the occasional pheasant use it. :way:

Top Bottom