Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Poachers and Trespassers!

You have to gain a reputation of being more crazy than they are. "Hunt coyotes" when shotgun season starts. One land owner in Plymouth County started firing rounds from a rifle at two guys that were clearly trespassing. His intent wasn't to shoot them, just scare them. It appears to have worked. What are they going to do, go to the police and admit they were trespassing?
I think it would work great as long as you're shooting behind them and there is no chance of hitting them with a stray bullet. I know of cases where landowners did it and word got out real quick. I mean unless you were to hit them there is nothing that says you can target practice on your land. A gilly suit or snow camo would keep them wondering. :D

I feel your pain. Hell, We had a group around here that trespassed this weekend that was running deer with trucks. Well the deer won atleast one battle cause they ended up rolling a truck into a 15 ft ditch. they posted it on facebook like it was a joke to them even though they were clearly trespassing where the truck rolled! Pisses me off to no end! Id post the pics if i knew how.

opening weekend of 1st season, went out to the Northern farm to patrol at around 3:30. When I arrived there was some jackass dragging a deer out of our field that he had shot from the road out of his truck, rite passed one of the posted signs that I had hung this fall.:thrwrck: So after dealing with that I continued on and just watched for the rest of the night without any other issues. Came back early on Sun. morning and there were drag marks under the fence from the middle of the night. :mad:

I honestly do not know what else to do! Short of shooting someone, I'm out of ideas. I know most shotgun hunters are good guys, but like Dannyboy said, a few are making all of them have a bad reputation. Im just glad we got the storm from hell this weekend to keep some of the A-Holes at home in there trailers so they can beat there wives and kick there dogs!

Almost hard to stay sane this time of year.

Last edited:
Really sad, glad you got the pic you did and hopefully someone makes an ID. I hunt shotgun season and am amazed every year by what I see. I check in with the landowners even if they have given me permission the day before, unless they give me permission again that day, I don't enter their property. Really shouldn't even be a question because it is "their property". This weekend I hunted during the blizzard both days and of everybody I stopped and talked to 2/3's gave permission, and the other 1/3 had family that hunted it. I just can't figure out why people won't just ask.

Yesterday I was watching a couple nice bucks running through a field and I circled the section they were running in, and then the next and eventually saw the trees they disappeared into. Next step was to find out who owned it, and ask. They said no because they had family out hunting, which I totally respect. I shared with them that two nice bucks had ran into a particular area so they could pass it along.

Treat people like you would like to be treated, treat peoples property like you would like yours treated.

Good luck with your hunting and as I said hopefully those guys get nailed.

opening weekend of 1st season, went out to the Northern farm to patrol at around 3:30. When I arrived there was some jackass dragging a deer out of our field that he had shot from the road out of his truck, rite passed one of the posted signs that I had hung this fall.:thrwrck: So after dealing with that I continued on and just watched for the rest of the night without any other issues. Came back early on Sun. morning and there were drag marks under the fence from the middle of the night. :mad:

I honestly do not know what else to do! Short of shooting someone, I'm out of ideas. I know most shotgun hunters are good guys, but like Dannyboy said, a few are making all of them have a bad reputation. Im just glad we got the storm from hell this weekend to keep some of the A-Holes at home in there trailers so they can beat there wives and kick there dogs!

Almost hard to stay sane this time of year.

Sadly I thinks its more than just a few. Every area seems to be plagued by illegal hunting and poaching. I had 4 deer shot and taken from my ground at night last year. Ended up going out and sitting in the truck trying to catch them but never did. Between trespassing and poaching the problem is huge. State needs to start taking more aggressive action like long term loss of hunting privileges (10 yrs +) and large fines, even for trespassing. Its your responsibility as a hunter to know where you are at ALL times when hunting. I'm so sick of the "I thought I was in this person's ground" bullshit. Too many hunters think if they have permission once they can hunt that ground for life. They never give the thought that ground gets sold to new owners and do not ask on a yearly basis.

I would agree that some "target practice" is in order with some big guns when they trespass through the ground.

Isn't there a compact out there now between a pile of states? If you are caught poaching in one state you are banned from a pile of states. Maybe increase the years on poaching from 3 to 5 to more?? And fines, manditory $1500 for a doe and $500 per point on a buck!! That might be enough?? And then for just tresspassing on the land, you privilages should be revoked for several years and include that into the compact as well!! Then people might change there thoughts on crossing the line fence!!!

On one of our farms in WI we just have the old LINE FENCE HUNTER!! Their is only a couple small patches of woods on their land and we own the 400 acres of woods around them so they just walk the line fence, pull up to the fence post and look through their scopes into our woods!!! Then if they shoot one, they say they hit it on their land and it ran into our woods. Well the gig is up after this year!!! Told the cousin and a buddy who hunt with me, if they say they shoot one tell them to bring the warden and police with them next time if they want to come on the land and trail it. Then go to where the deer is found and back trail it to where it supposidly was shot! OOPS!! Maybe they didn't shoot it in the field.

Oh, here is one for you if you catch someone on your land with a weapon and they say the shot it on their side the fence!! Tell them to leave the deer and their gun/bow and go get the warden or police and then come back and claim their animal. They can then have the deer and weapon back. If they dont come back, you have yourself some new hardware.

I am with the rest of you, sick and tired of them!!! AND THE ROAD HUNTERS!!! Had CrabClaws shot by a road hunter but really didn't realize it until it was too late. Even took the picture for the bastard who shot it.

Thanks to this jerk, I wont have a shot at him next year!!
picture.php

picture.php

Take a look at the entrance hole by the bow. Low and the exit wound when I rolled the animal over was mid body. He supposidly shot the animal on the line fence on the top of the hill and it was traveling west down the hill from him. OOPS, that entrance wound is low and exit is mid body?? Doesn't add up!! Wait till next year! He will have a surprise waiting!! HEE HEE HEE

Oh here is another little trick the neighbors use by us!! Opening day was November 10th this year in Wisconsin so the neighbors unleased the hounds on Nov. 19th this year to let them run deer!! Check the date on the picture!!! No wonder I didn't see any good deer this year!!!

picture.php

They have 2 of them that run deer all the time. Little guys aren't coming home one of these days!!!

So that guy in the picture, how'd you get that? Is that you? What did you do about that buck and incident?

No that is not me in the picture. I took it, that is the shooter or as I refer to him, the Road Hunter. Aptly named have seen him shoot a deer off the road before, a couple years back.

Long story short or maybe not.....I was out setting up some cameras in some strategically placed locations for tresspassers of all things....when I got a call from my dad and cousin saying RoadHunter was trailing a buck across our property, which my Aunt had given him permission to do....Well I take off on the quad and head that way and run into our neighbor and he said that ya, RoadHunter shot a deer on the ridge above his house (neighbors house). Okay, I didn't know you had given anyone permission to hunt in the last two years??? Well I didn't say anything and we went down to help get the deer off our hill and across the creek onto the pastured flat. When we got there, I promptly got the RoadHunters version of the hunt. I first asked where his stand was, he said at the top of the ridge where the line fences meet where the power was brought off the neighbors (neighbor 2) land to neighbor 1's log home. Okay...makes sence...I should have asked to see the stand, first mistake by me....Next I asked which way was the deer headed and where was the shot....Well RoadHunter said it was traveling down the valley and was about 35 yards from the stand, down hill from him.....Okay...works for me, lets go see the deer.....He showed me the entrance hole of his 3 blade Rage and it was no doubt, low shot damn near missed the guy....then I rolled the deer over and out popped the broadhead through the middle of the deer....no ribs even close!!.....Okay, paid no attention to it and had to get going, told him and neighbor 1 to close the gate as they left. Oh, snapped a couple pics with my phone for future reference. Wasn't till later that night that it finally snapped and I realized that that entrance hole could not have been made from a tree stand up hill from the deer unless the guy likes to take glancing off the ground shots!!

Ya, I screwed up and should have asked to see the stand!

Since I've lived in Iowa, I've come to realize that the CO's don't do much as far as tresspassing,

that is not necessarily the case.... with some, perhaps, but there is a lot more to it than "Hey, I saw so-and-so on my property and I want to press charges" there has to be solid evidence, in reality, short of not catching them in the act will rarely get it done. Also, there are many County Attorneys that have a biased or slanted view of trespassing charges... its not always the COs, rather so many cases get thrown out because of shotty evidence and a law interpretation that really gives the perp an out..... its bunk, but if you can have the CO on your property as you catch the trespasser, you can press charges.....

That sucks big time Boyd, hope you catch them!

At first I didn't, he, Road Hunter could not explain what the bucks rack looked like exactly which is understandable, and I wanted to see it to see which buck it was. And I wanted to get the whole story from him....

We had first hand encounters with the road hunters this weekend. We were setting out to work a small draw in the middle of the section that holds a lot of deer. After we start out into the section we are suddenly surrounded by trucks on all sides waiting for the deer to run out and I'm sure shoot them right off the road. It's just pure lazyness and disrespect for hunting in general. Also found 2 nice dead bucks that had been shot a day or two earlier and let lay.

As far as those dogs go I would set a few fox traps with some lure and that will take care of that problem in a hurry.

Top Bottom