Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Poaching increased since rifle expansion

Hardwood11

It is going to be a good fall!
Minnesota is looking to add rifles statewide. Right now the northern counties have rifles, but southern more agriculture counties have shotgun/slug during the gun season.

I hope it doesn’t pass.

But I was curious if poaching had increased since they allowed rifles in Iowa?

Minnesota is looking to add rifles statewide. Right now the northern counties have rifles, but southern more agriculture counties have shotgun/slug during the gun season.

I hope it doesn’t pass.

But I was curious if poaching had increased since they allowed rifles in Iowa?
Do you mean using a modern rifle instead of the allowed straight wall cartridge, night hunting, or shooting across property lines with the straight wall cartridge? Or all the above?

No doubt about it!!!!!! Bad news. There’s literally nothing beneficial to Whitetail’s, quality, age structure, etc from rifles. Only winners are insurance companies, deer haters & Rifle sales.
I personally had this conversation with at least 3 totally different guys…. Just shooting the breeze & here’s their words in a nutshell “yep- got my rifle for late antlerless season. & heck- if u see a big buck, shoot that sucker!! I am!!!” Any variation of that pretty much.
This debate has clear winners & clear losers. Those that care about deer & quality deer management are the clear losers.

Do you mean using a modern rifle instead of the allowed straight wall cartridge, night hunting, or shooting across property lines with the straight wall cartridge? Or all the above?

All the above. I’ve heard there is a correlation between rifle zones and increased poaching.

I think we would be naive to not think the poaching would be higher in high powered areas.

On a side note the IDNR said at the IBA banquet that Monroe county is now added to the late shed buck season!

I'm not trying to stir anything up but these new muzzleloaders that guys are head shooting deer at 400 yards are just as capable of removing mature deer from nature as a high power. I know they are legal and have a season but there's really not anything primitive to them. I know a guy that can hit a pie plate at 800 yards with one...

In Minnesota the DNR presented the rifle scenario to the legislature, as no added safety risk… there was no mention of added poaching risk, which I think will happen.

Minnesota is a fairly heavily populated area, I think there is more risk for safety in certain areas. Time will tell. I hope it doesn’t pass.

I'm not trying to stir anything up but these new muzzleloaders that guys are head shooting deer at 400 yards are just as capable of removing mature deer from nature as a high power. I know they are legal and have a season but there's really not anything primitive to them. I know a guy that can hit a pie plate at 800 yards with one...
I have always wondered how these muzzleloaders are legal. They are just like a high powered rifle. People always want to make hunting easier and these muzzleloaders do that. I prefer for hunting mature bucks to be hard and challenging, not easier.

Top Bottom