Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Power of the licking branch

I put out some licking branches. Used red oak. NO use yet? Maybe just my area. Maybe bucks here too young to know what they are??

First time I've done this. Put this branch in the ground aprox 2ft on Sept 1st, when we returned on Sept 22nd the branch was completely pushed over and the hole was all wallowed out. We dug the hole a little deeper and tried to pack the dirt around it better with a sledge hammer. I seen Skip's video using concrete, lol that's what we should have done as well. We hunt field edges quite a bit just due to how the farm lays out and this is something I'll do more of. Licking Branch.jpg

I put out some licking branches. Used red oak. NO use yet? Maybe just my area. Maybe bucks here too young to know what they are??
It could be a number of things from your placement location, the branch itself, orientation, or your scent etc.

All deer use licking branches, not just bucks.

How is your orientation set up Loneranger?

First time I've done this. Put this branch in the ground aprox 2ft on Sept 1st, when we returned on Sept 22nd the branch was completely pushed over and the hole was all wallowed out. We dug the hole a little deeper and tried to pack the dirt around it better with a sledge hammer. I seen Skip's video using concrete, lol that's what we should have done as well. We hunt field edges quite a bit just due to how the farm lays out and this is something I'll do more of. View attachment 116870
Awesome SB3

What do you mean orientation? I put two along well used deer trails. Been there couple weeks. RED oak branches hung down just 5 to 6 ft height. Deer slow to get scrapin round here.

I meant by the way its set up and presented to the deer. Regardless of scrapes, deer use licking branches 365. Is your branch ends covered in leaves? Are the ends of the branches tiny? Like leaf stems? Try a different location, and maybe a different species. If your adding a scrape, try it without a scrape, or scent. Or you could aslo try using a pre orbital gland scent on the licking branch. Take note of any licking branches you've seen around your property and mock it. Tree type, height, etc. Try a field edge/feeding edges and or in the middle of either. If you have a fence line, try that.

Pulling an old thread out of the dungeon.

Out of curiosity, what type/species of tree branch do you use? I'm in northwest Iowa, trying red cedar right now.

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk

Top Bottom