Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Pre-emergent herbicide for corn and beans?

Garrett2006

what’s a good pre-emergent herbicide safe for corn and soy beans that can be bought online or at stores without a herbicide permit? Looking for something to spray after tilling onto bare ground or add a sprayer to my 2 row planter and be spraying off the back of planter as I’m planting. Also thought about adding some liquid fertilizer to the tank as well. Thanks

However, when using anthem max, you can also run atrazine at 32oz per acre for extra pre emerging power on corn acres, just be sure not to spray that on your bean acres

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
However, when using anthem max, you can also run atrazine at 32oz per acre for extra pre emerging power on corn acres, just be sure not to spray that on your bean acres

The Atrazine can’t be sprayed with an ATV sprayer correct? I have heard due to it being so thick, it will gum up an electric sprayer pump. Anyone use a 25 gallon electric pump sprayer with Atrazine to confirm this?

The Atrazine can’t be sprayed with an ATV sprayer correct? I have heard due to it being so thick, it will gum up an electric sprayer pump. Anyone use a 25 gallon electric pump sprayer with Atrazine to confirm this?
Ive done it plenty of times, but I have customized my rig a little differently and am now running a 45 gallon fimco rig, Swapped out all the 3/8 lines to 1/2" and using the 3.8gpm pump.
In previous years I've sprayed atrazine out of the 25 gallon tank and 2.1gpm pump on 3/8 lines before without issues. Make sure you agitate it for a good while and absolutely run Neutralize through your tank after application.
upload_2019-5-21_8-33-29.png

Regardless what you use for Pre- Em in my experience a post gly application 3-4 weeks later is necessary to keep it really clean until everything gets a chance to canopy out.

Thanks, I have a northern tool 26 gallon sprayer. Haven’t seen where it has an option to agitate. I may have to tap into the lines and rig up something so it can.

Sprayer link:
https://m.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_200726034_200726034
Its very similiar from the fimco that I used to used, though I used a true boom rather than the boomless.
There should be a T-knob that engages the boom flow and and knob that sets the pressure, open up the pressure knob and keep the boom off and this should run the chemical back through into the tank.
You could also accomplish this by taking the hose clamp and boom hose off the boom and running it back into the tank lid, does the same thing. Then hook it back up when ready to spray.

Looks great. ZERO fields up here in Iowa look that good.

Very very few here in NCMO. As im typing this its raining again. Many friends in chariton county to the west are loosing crops every second. Grand and Chariton rivers are above 1993 flood levels. My dads duck hunting cabinnis under water as well in Carrol county (circled in drone pic).
IMG_0229.jpg

For herbicide recommendations check out Ag PhD tv and google their educated recommendations for anything ag related. Very easy to understand their thoughts and science behind them.

Above- s-metolachlor (dual II) is one standard for both but u will need 2-3 pre’s in reality. Also- to save $- buy “me-too-lachlor II” & run it at 40-44 oz per acre and will perform as well as 32 oz of s-metolachlor.

If u wanna make the complex simple- like above says- go with acuron for corn- u can make ur own & a very simple combo to get 3 of the 4 are: atrazine (sub simazine if no rup), s-metolachlor & Mesotrione (get generic Mesotrione - I can post if needed. The stuff is amazing!!!!!). (That mix is closer to lumax or lexar but irrelevant).

Go different on beans. Do a pre-plant mixed spray with 2-3 things.... these 2 would have combos that would give u huge headstart!!!.... fierce xlt, matador-s, etc.
Yes, s-metolachlor is one for both but u wanna mix stuff up. Run a combo like above for BEANS - metolachlor, fomesafen (I usually run fomesafen on 2nd spray). A category 5 that’s awesome is prowl h20 (pre plant before beans go in ground), etc. endless list really.
So- for example for beans- pre-plant spray: fierce xlt or matador-s. Second spray: roundup or Liberty (dependent on ur tolerance), s-metolachlor & fomesafen. U run that combo on 1st and 2nd spray on beans & would be incredibly effective!!!!

Top Bottom