Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Pre-emergent herbicide for corn and beans?

Last edited:
Above- s-metolachlor (dual II) is one standard for both but u will need 2-3 pre’s in reality. Also- to save $- buy “me-too-lachlor II” & run it at 40-44 oz per acre and will perform as well as 32 oz of s-metolachlor.

If u wanna make the complex simple- like above says- go with acuron for corn- u can make ur own & a very simple combo to get 3 of the 4 are: atrazine (sub simazine if no rup), s-metolachlor & Mesotrione (get generic Mesotrione - I can post if needed. The stuff is amazing!!!!!). (That mix is closer to lumax or lexar but irrelevant).

Go different on beans. Do a pre-plant mixed spray with 2-3 things.... these 2 would have combos that would give u huge headstart!!!.... fierce xlt, matador-s, etc.
Yes, s-metolachlor is one for both but u wanna mix stuff up. Run a combo like above for BEANS - metolachlor, fomesafen (I usually run fomesafen on 2nd spray). A category 5 that’s awesome is prowl h20 (pre plant before beans go in ground), etc. endless list really.
So- for example for beans- pre-plant spray: fierce xlt or matador-s. Second spray: roundup or Liberty (dependent on ur tolerance), s-metolachlor & fomesafen. U run that combo on 1st and 2nd spray on beans & would be incredibly effective!!!!

Please post the above you stated for corn. Thanks

All 3 mentioned above. Duel (S-metolachlor) is an ingredient in Acuron.

Wonder if a guy could do Acuron AND Anthem Maxx. That be 6 differnt pre's. Perhaps overkill!

Acuron.jpg

Anthem Max.jpg
Duel Magnum.jpg

Acuron will win in corn. Probably still a 2 pass even though says 1. If u want acuron to be one pass…. IMO, burn down week or more with gly & 2,4-d with it & let a rain activate. I’ve added prowl to it & bumped up atrazine a tiny bit so it can be one pass.

Anthem I’ve only done on beans. Good stuff. Dunno on corn?!?

Metolachlor is the 3rd and that’s just one herbicide category & won’t control weeds like a mix will. I personally run metolachor or acetochlor in every corn & bean mix. Rotate them on occasion.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Acuron will win in corn. Probably still a 2 pass even though says 1. If u want acuron to be one pass…. IMO, burn down week or more with gly & 2,4-d with it & let a rain activate. I’ve added prowl to it & bumped up atrazine a tiny bit so it can be one pass.

Anthem I’ve only done on beans. Good stuff. Dunno on corn?!?

Metolachlor is the 3rd and that’s just one herbicide category & won’t control weeds like a mix will. I personally run metolachor or acetochlor in every corn & bean mix. Rotate them on occasion.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
The big trend with non-GMO corn dictates things be one pass (or deal with weeds) For foodplot/deer probably not a huge deal. Good call on adding more atrazine... within legal limits of course. ;)

The big trend with non-GMO corn dictates things be one pass (or deal with weeds) For foodplot/deer probably not a huge deal. Good call on adding more atrazine... within legal limits of course. ;)
No problem. & it can be 2 pass.
First pass: gly + 2,4-d + acuron + spiking with few other options…. More Atrazine u have tons of room yet. Same with metolachlor. Add prowl or few others first pass.

2nd pass IF YOU NEED IT: 2,4-d sprayed at right time & corn height. Atrazine can be sprayed post emergent. So can metolachlor. Atrazine, 2,4-d & metolachlor can be used second pass on non-gmo corn & that should cover most broadleaf & grass pressure. Like anything - don’t let weeds get too big. Many Other options as well.
2 pass corn on non-gmo is not hard with todays herbicides.

On our commercial corn we do a one pass with acuron as an early post pass. This year we are using acuron gt and adding a quart of liquid atrazine. With this program we have spotless fields. Most fields are a one pass field cultivator ahead of planting but a couple fields are no till and they are extremely clean also. Basically it is safe to spray as soon as you can row the corn.

On our commercial corn we do a one pass with acuron as an early post pass. This year we are using acuron gt and adding a quart of liquid atrazine. With this program we have spotless fields. Most fields are a one pass field cultivator ahead of planting but a couple fields are no till and they are extremely clean also. Basically it is safe to spray as soon as you can row the corn.
Would these herbicides have a lasting effect so one couldnt overseed rye or brassicas into the rows?

Not sure on the labels but I know a lot of guys fly cover crops of rye on their corn in August or September after spraying some version of this. And last year I sprayed a different version of this on a failed corn plot and planted brassicas on the failed portion and they did great. I should have added that accuron gt you should be able to buy without a restricted use license but you will need the pesticide license if you put atrazine with it.

yes. 4 months on Rye. Brassicas not listed, but probably 10+ months.

View attachment 124519
Those replant/rotational intervals are generally pretty extreme IMO. My guess would be they put a long timeframe so covers all sorts of soils & regions. & more “it possibly could be this long”. atrazine is one u pry wanna limit a bit if wanting to do brassicas.

Top Bottom