Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Pretty Boy Dilemma?

fastfreddy

Okay let me vent....started the season out with my son in youth season and on opening morning I put PB out with 2 hens.....right off the bat we get an answer and a tom is on it's way.....comes to 40 yds (in full strut) and veers out clear of us......No shot.

Sat. Morning we go to the same spot and just put out 2 hens.....Tom comes from same direction BUT comes to 10 yds and wammo....game over....

My turn (Bow).....Go out Tuesday AM and have a Tom coming in full strut except again I have PB and the 2 hens out.....he stops 40 yds out and wouldn't come any further.....No shot.

Anybody else have any misfortunes with this? This morning when I went out I left the PB in the truck but didn't have any luck.....too windy this AM and the birds weren't really sounding off at all so I really don't know where they all went....

On my way back to the truck on the far ridge about a mile out I notice 2 Toms in full strut with a bunch of hens out in a bean field....I have permission to be where they are and would make a great ambush spot but would you leave PB in the truck or try my luck again with him? Would PB work better when the they are following the hens around thinking he might steal them or do I just go set up with my hen decoys?

Thanks in advance

Sounds like the same problem I had last year during 4 season. I just figured it was because most of the younger Toms have had their butts kicked a couple times and wanted nothing to do with another dominant bird. Maybe this guy has had his tail kicked already once this year.

I think you answered your own question with your results. Try that PB on those different birds, if they shy, come back with just your hen deeks.

On the other hand what don't work one day may put them in your lap the next. Don't try to hard on figuring those pee brains out. The most important part is just keeping at them. You'll hit a bird in the right mood eventually.

Maybe try a hen decoy in the breeding postition, such as the Pretty Girl.. Also, are you using the POS cardboard fan that comes with the decoy or one off of an actual turkey? The more natural you can make it, the better..

I threw the POS cardboard fan away with the box it came in! I haven't tried Pretty Girl with him because of all the noise the 2 make together while walking in......

I have had that problem in the past too. I only hear good things about PB, but I have never had any luck with it.

I think decoys like the PB and the B Mobile are just another tool to use, just like a roar call while deer hunting. In some places they work, in some places they don't. However, it doesn't hurt to try them!

Just a thought here. Make sure your facing the PB toward you. They will circle around and look him in the eye. If you face it away there is a good chance they will hang out there and stare because they're already looking him in the face.

I've had both great and terrible results using the PB. Either they're coming or they'll hang up. Good luck. When they commit it's pretty awesome.

PB is always facing the blind @ 7 yds. everytime! I still want to see one come in and beat the crap out of it! I hope it's only a matter of time......

I sold mine this year. I had nothing but bad luck with it for two years, had Toms veer away. I seem to have better luck with a jake and a hen.

Maybe all the birds around here are a bunch of wussies.

I've had great luck with mine up to and including 3rd season. I did used to hunt some ground in south central Iowa however where they were shy of ANY decoy. I can only imagine what a PB would have done there, probably have them running to the next county. Seems like maybe their effectiveness may be directly related to hunting pressure.

Pb bad luck for me too

i had him out this am & had a tom come over the dike & look at him & run off 100 mph in the other direction,makes me wonder also.

Has anyone tried a Jake fan in a PB, alongside a submissive hen? Just a thought.

Yep. Although it still is not a guarantee I think it has helped.

picture.php

I've had mixed results with PB, toms hanging up and acting nervous. Probably 2 year old birds but i'd still take them. I picked up a Jake mobile and added a jake fan to it. First morning, nice tom down! I think for the most part, PB is in retirement.

In the last 3 seasons i have seen 8 toms shot using a PB! You just need the right situation! And right now with the toms being hened up i will be using mine every morning!:way:

Don had the same problem with pretty boy until he painted his head red like most toms in the woods. Once he did the birds came right in and he tagged out the two times he took it out with a red head

2ndbird6.jpg

donbird3.jpg

donbird1.jpg

In regards to the PB, this is just me thinking outloud - how is it that sometimes those birds seem so dang smart when they see a decoy, yet they will walk right up to a blind that sticks out like a sore thumb in the middle of the field. Does anyone else think that doesn't make any sense? haha Dang overgrown chickens anyway. :)

Top Bottom