Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Proposed NR license fees for 2002

B

Blind Sow

On Wednesday, April 18, House File 720 was introduced that would change nonresident fees for hunting and fishing. The proposed fees are as follows:

** NR annual fishing: from $22.50 to $36.

** NR seven day fishing license: $27.

** NR hunting license (18 & older):from $60.50 to $80.

** NR hunting license (<18): from $24.50 to $30.

** NR deer hunting license (antlered or any sex deer): from $150 to $220.

** NR deer hunting license (antlerless deer only) $150.

** NR wild turkey license: from $75.50 to $100.

** The habitat stamp (for res and nonres) would increase from $5 to $8.

A newly created fish habitat fee ($3) would be required for any resident and nonresident who is required to have a fishing license.

There are major changes being proposed for NR turkey and deer hunting. In addition to having the NR deer and turkey license all NRs would be required to also purchase a NR hunting license (plus habitat stamp as is currently required). For NR deer hunting that would mean anyone 18 years of age and over would spend $80+220+8=$308.

In addition to a NR turkey license a NR hunting license and habitat stamp would be needed---$80+100+8=$188.

This proposal increases the number of NR wild turkey permits from 2000 to 2300 annually. Of the 2300 NR turkey licenses 150 licenses shall be valid for hunting with muzzleloading shotguns only.

This proposal increases the number of NR deer licences from 7500 to 8500 annually. A NR owning land in Iowa may apply for one of the 6000 NR licenses offered annually for hunting deer of either sex. If unsuccessful, the landowner shall be given preference for one of the 2500 antlerless only NR deer licenses and the license shall be valid to hunt on the NR's land only. The annual antlerless only fees for NR deer hunting licenses ($150) shall apply to the NR landowners. A NR owning land in Iowa is eligible for only one NR deer license annually. If one or more parcels of land have multiple NR owners, only one of the NR owners is eligible for a NR antlerless only deer permit.

If passed into law these changes take effect December 15, 2001 and applies to licenses and fees for wildlife and game activities for th years beginning on or after January 1, 2002.

At this time I'm not aware of any proposed increases in resident licenses. Personally, that is a mistake. Resident licenses haven't been raised in 10 years. Just raising NR fees is a small bandage at best that won't have any lasting effect. Without increasing both res and nonres fees the DNR will have to go back to the legislature next year or at best the year after and try again. In the meantime, wildlife and wildlife programs will suffer.

Doug Clayton

Thanks for the update Doug, kinda nice having a C.O. handy on the site to keep us in the know.

I wrote my State senator and HoR member and told them to also support resident fee increases. I think we can afford to pay a little more, especially when you consider what we get in return. It's well worth the investment!

The Senate passed HF 720 on a 26-20 vote. This is not what the DNR had proposed nor what the Senate had earlier proposed.

The House made it very clear that they would not accept any amendments to the bill and that if the bill were amended by the Senate that they (the House) would trash the bill.

The bill will generate about $3.2 million at most and will get the DNR by (hopefully) until the legislature is willing to pass a meaningful increase that includes resident licenses also.

The bill now goes to Governor Vilsack for his consideration.

Whoever decided I'd be willing to pay $188 for a turkey was smokin' dope.

Heck, Zim your Iowa turkey probably cost more than that this year if you add in everything :cool:

I understand there are other costs, but in my case there are only two: 1. Tag fee 2. Gas money

I take a pop-up and camp without hookups. Food doesn't count because I have to eat no matter where I am, hunting or home.

I expect I'll try applying in Michigan next year for only $65, and/or Illinois for $75. I think these are even high for a silly bird. I mean turkey hunting is OK, but I just don't like it enough to pay $188. I always take my Indiana bird for $15 anyway. I just plain am not willing to pay that price.

It's like booking a cruise! Searching for the best package deal. If Iowa is to high priced float on another boat and Iowa will do fine adjusting its revenue and nr #'s.

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Blind Sow:
On Wednesday, April 18, House File 720 was introduced that would change nonresident fees for hunting and fishing. The proposed fees are as follows:

** NR annual fishing: from $22.50 to $36.

** NR seven day fishing license: $27.

** NR hunting license (18 & older):from $60.50 to $80.

** NR hunting license (&lt;18): from $24.50 to $30.

** NR deer hunting license (antlered or any sex deer): from $150 to $220.

** NR deer hunting license (antlerless deer only) $150.

** NR wild turkey license: from $75.50 to $100.

** The habitat stamp (for res and nonres) would increase from $5 to $8.

A newly created fish habitat fee ($3) would be required for any resident and nonresident who is required to have a fishing license.

There are major changes being proposed for NR turkey and deer hunting. In addition to having the NR deer and turkey license all NRs would be required to also purchase a NR hunting license (plus habitat stamp as is currently required). For NR deer hunting that would mean anyone 18 years of age and over would spend $80+220+8=$308.

In addition to a NR turkey license a NR hunting license and habitat stamp would be needed---$80+100+8=$188.

This proposal increases the number of NR wild turkey permits from 2000 to 2300 annually. Of the 2300 NR turkey licenses 150 licenses shall be valid for hunting with muzzleloading shotguns only.

This proposal increases the number of NR deer licences from 7500 to 8500 annually. A NR owning land in Iowa may apply for one of the 6000 NR licenses offered annually for hunting deer of either sex. If unsuccessful, the landowner shall be given preference for one of the 2500 antlerless only NR deer licenses and the license shall be valid to hunt on the NR's land only. The annual antlerless only fees for NR deer hunting licenses ($150) shall apply to the NR landowners. A NR owning land in Iowa is eligible for only one NR deer license annually. If one or more parcels of land have multiple NR owners, only one of the NR owners is eligible for a NR antlerless only deer permit.

If passed into law these changes take effect December 15, 2001 and applies to licenses and fees for wildlife and game activities for th years beginning on or after January 1, 2002.

At this time I'm not aware of any proposed increases in resident licenses. Personally, that is a mistake. Resident licenses haven't been raised in 10 years. Just raising NR fees is a small bandage at best that won't have any lasting effect. Without increasing both res and nonres fees the DNR will have to go back to the legislature next year or at best the year after and try again. In the meantime, wildlife and wildlife programs will suffer.

Doug Clayton

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Thanks for the great, up-to-the-minute info. Doug!

I'm a former Iowan who is now a NR and I am HAPPY to pay any fee increase if additional NR licenses are included with the fee increases. I would pay almost any reasonable fee for the opportunity to hunt with my family and friends every year.

I think the IOwa DNR does a great job and they spend their pennies very wisely, so I rest assured my hard-earned money will be well spent.

I also agree that residents need to pay more as well.

Mickey W. Hellickson
OrionWhitetails

Top Bottom