Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Public Hunting areas around Ames

J

jbutenhoff

This will be my first year hunting around the Ames area. Are there any suitable public areas within 30 or so miles? I am aware of one public area near Ledges park. All of the other public areas that I have looked at are geared to waterfoul hunting! Any help would be appreciated!

Jamie

p.s. I will be using a black-powder rifle and probably hunt during the 1st shotgun season and late black powder season (antler-less)

Where are you from?

The best way to learn Iowa's public areas is to buy a Sportsman's Atlas. The company goes by that name out of Lytton, Iowa.

There are numerous public areas along the Des Moines river corridor all the way up to Fort Dodge.

I can help you if you are looking for private ground access.

515-543-8637

I just graduated form ISU and hunted the area for 6 years. I always hunted the public ground along the river by Boone and had great success. Buy the Sportsmans Atlas and give it a good look. There is approx. 12,000 acres along the the Des Moines River that is perfect for what you are looking for. I hope you like to walk though, access isn't always the best. Head south of the park along the river and you'll find tons of land. The area near the park gets hammered, especially during gun seasons. I would shy away from them if you can. If public isn't for you, go to the Court House in Boone and buy a plat book. Then start making phone calls and knocking on doors. Any more questions just drop me a line.
oglesby_mark@hotmail.com

Thanks for the quick replies! I think I will start off by finding that Sportsmans Atlas. Can these be found at local book stores?

I think I will try to find some public land that is out of the way, I don't like crowds while hunting! For the last 2 years I went hunting arund the Spencer and Lynn Grove areas with my father-in-law. Boy did I dislike the Lynn Grove area though, waaaay to hilly for me.

Jamie

If you don't like the hills, you might not like the river by Boone. I killed a 125" 10 point two years ago that took me and two very disgruntled friends over 5 hours to drag out!! As for other hunters, I never had problems and very rarely even saw other people. But the deer are there. Hills + walking = deer. By the way, Wal Mart sells the Sportsman's Atlas. Look back by the hunting counter or just ask someone in the store. Best of luck.

I will have to do some scouting of the area to see how hilly it is! The hills where I hunted before were upwards of 40° with deep snow! Moderate hills don't bug me, just those ones that billy goats advoid! My formula last year was hills+walking+out of shape hunter= the deer hear you from 2 miles away panting and run away
smile.gif

Jamie

I found a map online at the Saylorville site by the Corp of Engineers that shows the public hunting area along the Des Moines river! Wow, there is a lot of area there! I guess that the ol DNR does not list it since they do not own it. Now I can not wait to go do some scouting this weekend!

Jamie

Top Bottom