Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Public Land Timing

I do a lot of scouting in the spring for spots for the next fall. I've found that pressure in the areas rotates around, so its good to have several spots in case you find one of the areas you've been hunting starts to see more people.

I find a lot of treestands during my walks, some of them are never moved & likely never hunted, but more often than not they are not very far in from the parking lot. Most guys don't want to be more than 500y or so from their truck. It's not fun dragging a deer 1.5 miles, but you will likely see more deer if you hike in away from the pressure.

Also look for escape routes. As people pressure the area, deer will move to more protected areas & use funnels to escape there. I've also found that field edges on public ground are usually worthless. If I see a treestand a few hundred yards off the road on a field it's likely that guy isn't seeing much for deer.

Based on my experiences in Illinois, I spend more time patterning nonresident hunters than I do good bucks. I am dead serious. Not joking about having plan B, C, D, E & F. Once I did actually run out of spots after the 4th one was taken by a guy from Florida. This was way back in too. Generally those willing to travel long distances hunt VERY hard. I am so used to it I don't get pissed any more. I expect it.

Don't EVER allow your legislators to open the NR floodgates to Iowa. They will ruin it in very short order. March on the capital steps if need be. I don't mind nonresidents in my state owned wildlife areas.........it's the AMOUNT of them I have the major problem with. Absolutely MUST be limited.

Eager to get back out and scout the beautiful Iowa hardwoods tomorrrow!

Hey Zim We are headed that way this weekend! A buddy has 5 points and will get drawn
In zone 5! He found someprivate land close to sedan! We r gping to check out sedan also
Any info would b appreciated as if we can expect to fimd sheds and we are looking for
Areas fpe him to hunt! Thanx Doug

I have found no sheds so far on my trips. Private near Sedan should be slammer. Just wait until after the pheasant & coon seasons open and you will have all kinds of deer running for your private land.

I quit hunting Sedan 10 years ago and don't plan on returning. One bad thing about that place is it's an easy target for northern Missouri poachers. A few CO's told me they had big problems. The main road goes right through the center of the property making it easy to spotlight. Spotlight + MO rifles = No thanks!

Tons of grasslands at Sedan.

I will stick to the big woods.

Beware of old maps. There was quite a bit added to Sedan since I was there. Also, I read the northwest corner was being flooded and converted to a waterfowl refuge or something. Google it.

I work with several avid `coon hunters and have found that they regularly hunt deep into the timber where 90% of bow hunters won`t go. Typically this is where my stands are. There is a noticeable difference in buck activity between bow opener and after `coon opener in my area. I plan on hitting my public land stands asap this year.
On the other hand they have put me on some mature bucks after seeing them consistenly in the same area. Seems some bucks are less affected than others but for the most part the deer move on to areas with less intrusion after `coon season starts.

I can believe this. Makes me wonder why they can't just start the coon seasons just 2 weeks later and avoid peak deer rut. It's not like the coons are going anywhere.

Why anyone would want to hunt coons is beyond me anyway. What up with that??? I mean I saw a hell of a lot of them too. One group going in when we were done bowhunting had 4 guys and 3 dogs. Really?

Zim said:
I'm kind of interested in trying the big Timber regardless because I enjoy hunting that type habitat. I'm locating enough good looking spots I can rotate well to avoid over pressuring. Nothing can be worse than the way, way over hunted Illinois public I've been to lately. Really sick of being outnumbered 3 to 1 by TN, LA, AL, GA & MI Plates. I may start in late October so I can hit some of my old places in the grass. But no way after that. Been there done that! :(

"dad" how do you think the Iowa people feel about this?

Zim said:
I can believe this. Makes me wonder why they can't just start the coon seasons just 2 weeks later and avoid peak deer rut. It's not like the coons are going anywhere.

Why anyone would want to hunt coons is beyond me anyway. What up with that??? I mean I saw a hell of a lot of them too. One group going in when we were done bowhunting had 4 guys and 3 dogs. Really?

Coons are worth pretty good money... They probably feel the same way about bow hunters...don't forget you're hunting PUBLIC ground. Anyone has a right to be on it.

Top Bottom