Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Pumpkins/ squash

A small piece of one of my plots.
20200927_143254.jpg

Might have to plant pumpkins next year. While driving to a job site Wednesday through a wooded development I passed by several houses that had deer chopping down the carved Halloween pumpkins sitting by porches. They really had them chewed up and just stood there while driving by slow. Thought of this post right away!

Update if anyone is interested.
This past spring, I planted about 1.5 acres in pumpkins /squash on 2 different properties.
They both turned out incredible.
Plots are now bare. I would highly encourage you guys to give em a try. Easy to grow, cheap, and deer LOVE them.
I still have deer checking out the plot in front of my cabin even though it was chewed down to dirt a month ago.

The smaller 6_8# sugar pie varieties seem to be preferred.
Acorn and buttercup squash also.

I actually posted in the neighborhood app after Halloween for pumpkins and squash wanted. I picked up a dozen or so of different varieties, blue ones, white ones, squash, etc. I pulled out the seeds and dried them so next year, I should be flush. I'm also going to order some giant pumpkin seed to see how big i can get one.

Well chit, what happened here i can no longer post pics?
Used to be able too!!
Says files are to large.
Hard enuff for me to navigate my computer and don't need to learn more "tricks".
What changed and the reason?

Anyone planning on pumpkins this year?
My target date for planting is june5_10th.
I'm planning on putting in a 1/4 acre or so of pumpkins. the wife and kids want to try growing them so it's a win/win if the deer start chewing on them after the girls take out what they want.

Well chit, what happened here i can no longer post pics?
Used to be able too!!
Says files are to large.
Hard enuff for me to navigate my computer and don't need to learn more "tricks".
What changed and the reason?

I'm tech-challenged as well but I figured it out. On my windows system I open the picture, right click on the picture and a drop down menu, well, drops down. From that menu I click on "resize". That gets yet another menu that lets you choose the size you want to save it as, I always chose 2MP. That brings up a "save" window. Be sure you are saving it in the same folder, rename it "punkins 2" and save. I've had to do this for years when posting some pics up in the PMA.

Now, if you are using an Apple, you're on your own.

As to the topic at hand, I plant punkins every year but they are for the annual Fishbonker Punkin Fest. The deer don't get a chance at 'em. It would be much easier if I just planted them as food plots though. A lot less watering, feeding and weeding. Not to mention bugs and mildew. The commercial punkin grower down the road just plants 'em and forgets 'em. By late summer you can't tell if there are punkins in the weeds or not. I'm sure it cuts down on his yield but when you plant that many acres and are only selling for Halloween punkins he has plenty.

Also, I have had volunteer plants come up. One year I let them grow and we had "squishkins". The squash and punkins had crossed.

How far north and which USDA zone are you in?

As for the picture problem, I don't know how to or want to do all that. Never had to before and don't need to on the 10 other forums I frequent. But thanks.

I'm about 100 miles south of Canadian border.

I've read that Strategy will work for annual grasses and broadleaf, but never tried it. It's a pre-emergent.

What do you guys use for weed control in pumpkins?

Glyphosate in a back pack sprayer with a fan tip, low pressure and a steady hand. I also add red dye to keep track of where I've been. But again, I'm planting for a different reason and the punkin patch is 200 feet from the house.

For bugs and fungus I use a drench pesticide sold for roses and later I use both Sevin and eight.

If I was planting them for food plot and out of my sight I think I'd let the weeds and bugs go. No sense killing non target bugs and plants for stuff that is planted strictly for deer food.

Top Bottom